2002 Taurus shocking me everytime I get out.

Hi, Everytime I get out of my 02 Taurus and close the door, I get shocked. I've tried looking in my area auto part store for the old-fashioned grounding straps (the kind you bolt to the frame and
drag on the road) but I can't find them. So, my question is - what do I look for that would be causing the static build up?
Thanks, BD
Change the clothing you are wearing.
mike hunt
BillyDees wrote:

Many new cars have this problem To lower the rolling resistance of the ties, they aren't using carbon black like in the good old days. The tires are now more effective insulators and significant static charges build-up. Probably if you changed the tires to "performance tires" the problem would be reduced.
From http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n 8,209&sid 9&articleg53 :
"Q--I have a 2003 Chevy pickup. Each time my husband gets out of the driver's seat he gets a real jolt from static electricity. He's almost to the point of installing a ground strap. Somebody said they thought it might be the tires. Do you have any thoughts on what causes this?
"A--Rubber compounds do differ among tire brands and even tire models within a brand. Some tires contribute to static buildup more than others, but replacing perfectly good tires just to stop an annoying zap is expensive. Instead, I suggest your husband touch a metal part of the door as he exits to dissipate the electrical charge as it develops while sliding across the seat.
"I also want to remind our readers to avoid returning to their seats during refueling as a spark may fly when you reach for the gas nozzle, which can trigger a fire."
Other references:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1994/November/11.html
Ed
BillyDees wrote:

As the vehicle ages, minor surface corrosion on the body mount hardware acts like an insulator and turns your car into a large capacitor. As you drive, a charge is built up on the skin of the vehicle due to airflow (just like on the rotors of helicoptors) and other normal galvanic reactions. There's a few things you can do - number one would be to stop wearing polyester - two, buy some ground straps (they sell them to eliminate motion or car sickness) and three, put on a set of Michelin's or BF Goodrich tires. They have higher carbon black and natural rubber concentrations.

opined in

"I dont think so, tim"!

Whatever... you have some pretty murky science, there..
But to the original poster, do you realize many people get in and out of their cars without ever touching any metal of the car body?
That happens to me, occasionally UNLESS I grab the door frame, or put my hand on the roof before I put my foot on the ground.... doesnt happen then, o maybe i just dont feel it.
If it still happens to you, then the problem is likely the tires... but it's the rolling friction that builds up the static charge... (remember the 'comb through the hair' experiment?) "galvanics" has nothing to do with it.
Find a surplus house that has Aircraft static discharge wicks... or simply some nice flexible wiring .. fasten to the underbody and cut it so that it barely touches the ground. When vehicle is at speed, it wont touch but as you stop, it should drop and discharge any buildup.
Also try an anti-static spray on your seats... fabic softener in a pinch.
Perhaps if you made it past high school you would realize that other people are sometimes correct. Please flick that booger you're picking and try reading something on the subject. I use my real name when I post.......

hand
it's
'comb
opined in

Good for you.
And dont forget: DONT use your cellphone while refueling... you could blow up the ambient fumes and start a fire.
More junk science for your amusement
Look at the grocery store for a spray that says it for static.....spray it on you seats/carpet.

The static charge is due to the friction when you slide out of the seat. The voltage difference is between you and the car, not the car and the ground, so grounding straps will not help much in this situation. Holding a metal part of the car that is attached to or part of the body as you get out will drain the charge away. finding a bare metal surface on today's cars are not so easy though. John

The
will
not
I second this advice. If it doesn't remove the shock, it will lessen the pain.
BillyDees wrote:

go to a place that sells truck parts.. that is who buys the platted metal gounding straps... try national auto parts... www.napaonline.com or a local one in your area.. in my area they do a lot of truck supply business, like hydraulic hoses for dump truck, light, reflector and the straps.....

=============Then I guess you tie one end of the strap to your leg or arm and the other end to a ground in the car? Thats the only way a "ground strap" would do any good.
Buy a Can of Anti-Stat and spray it on the seats. Won't harm anything. Can be bought at any electronics store, maybe Radio Shack