2002 windstar rough under load

Hi All - Having a problem:
In park, all is fine. I can rev the engine to 4k, smooth as silk. in drive, however, it idles fine, really rough under load. Hearing a
popping sound sometimes during acceleration. When up to speed, seems fine, but gets rough as soon as you start to accelerate. A bit puzzled as to why CEL not on...
Any ideas? Thanks, all.
DanW
Sounds like a plug starting to foul, or more like a bad plug wire. Spray some water from an old windex bottle on all the plug wires, especially near the plugs, and "goose" the motor and look for any arcing at the wires and spark plug boots. Tony

Dan, did you come up with anything? Let us know what happens. Tony

Hi guys - Weather here in Hamilton Ontario has been for the S$#@ (rain, rain, oh yeah, more rain). I haven't done anything related to plugs or wires yet. However, interestingly enough, the damp weather hasn't made things worse (?). Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter (I had one and it was due anyway) and took the van for a spin. I guess I was hoping it was water in the filter, or that it was plugged. Still fine under normal driving, as soon as you accelerate up a hill it misfires pretty bad. This time, I got a flashing CEL. I believe this means a general misfire? CEL went stopped flashing and stayed off as soon as I was off the hill.
Question: What's the easiest way to change the rear plugs in this thing (2002 Windstar)? Not looking forward to this one...
Dan
Anthony Diodati wrote:

Not sure about the plugs on that one, but sure sounds like a set of wires to me. why not try a set of wires 1st? Also clean any dirt around the coil(s) where the plug wires snap on to. From advance auto, don't get the cheap ones, they'll only last about a year. Get the autolights, there better and have a lifetime warranty. But IIRC the cheap ones have a lifetime warranty also. Tony

I'll try that out. I have had bad experiences with cheap wires, back in the college days. I never, never, NEVER go with cheap ones any more, it just isn't worth it.
Still looking for an easier way to do the plugs/wires without going in from underneath... any tips?? I have never had a vehicle that made the plugs this inaccessible.
Dan
Anthony Diodati wrote:

No, like I said, Don't think I ever changed them on a windstar. Might want to read some of the google search here.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.ford/search?hl=en&q=changing+plugs+windstar&start &sa=N&hl=en&

Why not try this forum too, http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?fg0

Thanks, appreciate it! Hope the weather warms up now....
Anthony Diodati wrote:

Dan Wright"Hope the weather warms up now" Yes me too..................... Seems to be a decent forum . Tony

Try a little gasline antifreeze. I had the exact same problem on a chevy venture, after parking on a slope (facing downward). Water in the gas would all collect at the intake and the van ran terrible. Reading codes just revealed "misfire", mechanics were no help. I finally figured that one out for myself. I also stopped buying gas at the lake gas station.
--
Denis Roy
snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

(knock on wood) It's fixed. New plugs and wires. What a pain that job was...
Dan
Anthony Diodati wrote:

Wow. Just kidding... Raining tonight. Wife took the van out, same problem, massive misfire. Not the fuel filter, not the plugs, not the wires. No solid check engine light, just the flashing one that means 'misfire'. Don't want to start shotgunning parts...
Dan
Dan Wright wrote:

Hi All - Turns out to be a bad ignition coil. terminals 2 and 6 should be ~10kohms, it was open. Replaced, good as new ..... today anyway.
Dan
Dan Wright wrote:

Well good Thanks for the follow up. Where did you find the info on testing the coil pac?

did a simple test, while the van was running, I disconnected each wire at a time at the coil pack. Cylinders 1,3,4,5,6 had a good strong spark jumping, 2 didn't. A friend of mine has access to some shop manuals. Asked him to look it up for me, low and behold, there was the schematic for the ig. coil. I saw that cylinders 1,5 2,6 3,4 each shared a coil. I measured the continuity between 1,5 and saw that it was about 10 kohms. 3,4 did too. 2,6 was wide open. I wasn't sure what nominally it should be, but figured that open was bad. For interest sake, I measured the new one, each pair was just over 10kohms.
As an aside, I called NAPA Autoparts for a price. I was quoted at about $240 Real Dollars (ie Canadian). The dealer, surprisingly was $185. I have never found the dealer to be cheaper for anything. What gives?
Anyway, thanks all for the input...
Dan
Anthony Diodati wrote:

Good deal thanks, Never know, yea the dealer is usually higher, I always call around for prices,think I did find something cheaper at the dealer one time too, Tony