2003-2006 Ford Expedition 5.4L V6 Engine Oil Change Guide

I recently helped a friend change the oil in his 2003 Ford Expedition equipped with the 5.4L Triton V8 engine. We took pictures of the process and I created a quick guide.

The procedure should be the same for all 2003 to 2006 Expedition SUVs and F-150 trucks with the 5.4L.

Here's the page -

I hope someone finds it to be useful.

Cheers, Paul Michaels Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Reply to
Paul Michaels

Not too bad, Paul... a couple of points...

5/8ths equates out to 16mm. By and large, we see these drain plugs overtightened and using a 17mm is going to make some guys day miserable... especially if he is green enough to need an "oil change primer". V6 Ford engines "usually" need a 13mm - a 1/2 inch being a reasonable substitute in most cases (I say this because manufacturing tolerances can affect this fit - something DIYers have yet to realize.

As far as changing the oil.... I do it with the car on a hoist... every second oil change, I recommend a tire rotation... I inspect brake pads (oh, the things I see people miss), rotors, hoses..... I check fluid levels... Since the car is on a hoist, I am standing erect. More of my attention is directed at the task at hand. Scrabbling around on your back in the dirt has a way of distracting you... but, don't take my word for it, I've only been doing this for about 40 years...

An oil change isn't "an oil change". Your car is a machine. Machines need to be inspected regularly to avoid dangerous breakdowns.

Jim Warman