2003 Ford Taurus, Transmission

I own a 2003 Ford Taurus (Automatic Transmission). Periodically when I attempt to put the transmission in drive, the car does not respond, as if it were in neutral. If I then pull it all the way back to
reverse then back into drive then it normally will engage. What is the malfunction, how can I remedy the problem, and what should I expect to spend to have the repairs done? THANKS!!