2003 Ford Taurus water on passenger floor

Hi there ...

Say ... I have a new 2003 Ford Taurus ...

Last week we had a pretty good downpour and I noticed that the carpet in the passenger side footwell was absolutely soaked.

Don't think I left the windows down and there was not a drop anywhere else around ... nothing coming down from the windshield, nothing under the fiberboard right up in front of the passenger side foot area ... no other sign of water at all.

Only thing I can think of was a couple of good sized puddles I hit but I can't imagine how that much water could have worked its way backwards from the drain holes.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks!

Ax

Reply to
Axinar

It would appear you have a body seam leak, take the vehicle to dealer to have it resealed, WBMA.

mike hunt

Reply to
MikeHunt2

One quick thing - see if the cover to the pollen filter is on. I had a similar problem on a 99 Sable, and the dealer told me the cover wasn't on (the dealer probably didn't replace it the previous time I was in)...

Disclaimer: I do not pretend to be a mechanic, backyard mechanic, or even remotely handy...

Reply to
Tony Muscarella

When you turn on your AC/heat fan, do you hear pinging or gurgling noises? If so, water probably dripped into the heating system. I have a

2000 Sable (essentially identical to your 2003 Taurus) and some JiffyLube goon broke off part of a water shield that sits over the MicronAir filter. This is the 'pollen filter'. It's underneath the plastic cover between the hood and the windshield, on the passenger side. On mine, a flexible piece that routes water to the side of the filter had broken off. That let collected water drip directly onto the filter, and then into the fan housing.

How long have you had your car? If brand new, maybe the shield was not installed properly or damaged. If your car was recently serviced, they may have broken the shield.

You have a messy cleanup. Just drying the carpet on top will NOT get rid of all the water. The carpet is bonded to a plastic backing. Behind that backing is a cloth foam. If you don't try it out NOW, it will start to stink VERY bad. You also need to check the BACK carpet, too. The water will fill go all the way to the back seat. You need to pull up the entire side of carpet, and get that foam dry. I ended up peeling it off, squeezing it out, then letting it drip-dry for a few days.

To get at the shield/filter: Open up the hood and pull off the 3 clips holding the section of plastic between the hood and windshield on the passenger side. Pull the cover straight up. There are 2 or 3 stiff snaps you are pulling against. You can easily see the sheild. There should be a nearly vertical section that connects to it's left (when looking at it from the front of the car) down the left side of the filter and it's housing.

You can see a picture of the shield here:

should be an extra section, nearly two inches long, sticking out the left side.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I had the same problem last year. I fixed it with a small piece of duct tape to reroute the water around hte Micron Filter.

That seems to have fixed it, no leaks in year and we had record rains all summer.

Andrew Rossmann wrote:

Reply to
Howard Peer