2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition questions

Ok, so yesterday my Exp. started sounding the theft alarm. Apparently, the keys in my pocket must have pushed the panic button as the car was in the garage and no one was around it. I've tried to decipher the
manual and nowhere can I find anything about how to turn the alarm off other than to turn on the ignition. My Dodge truck allows me to turn it off from the key fob button. Is there a way to turn it off from the key fob?
Secondly, I am trying to determine if I can lengthen the time that my headlights stay on after turning off the ignition. I have the auto on lights and they stay on about 20 secs after I turn off the ignition. Would much prefer that they stay on about 60 secs.
Can anyone help?

Well, I could suggest that you read the owner'sguide...
For the Panic Button:
Sounding a panic alarm Press this control to activate the alarm. The personal panic alarm will cycle the horn and parking lamps on/off. To deactivate the alarm, press the control again or turn the ignition to the 3 (ON) position.
For the Autolamp Delay:
Press the Set-up button of the Message Center and select the Autolamp Delay. Then do the following:
Autolamp delay This feature keeps your headlights on for up to three minutes after the ignition is switched off. 1. To disable/enable the autolamp delay feature, select this function from the SETUP control for the current display mode. 2. Press the RESET control to select a new Autolamp delay value.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

I did. I don't find anything at all under alarm, car alarm. Finally just started leafing through the thing and found some of what you are saying however. I did push the panic alarm buttom to shut it off...it didn't do a thing.
I also pushed the set up buttom for the message center. No autolamp comes up.
At least I know what I was doing is right. It just doesn't seem to be working on my vehicle. But then again, the key fob only works some of the time.
Gary

The remote, including the panic button setting, is described in the Remote Entry System section. Unless you purchased an aftermarket or dealer installed alarm system, you do not have a car alarm.

To change the Autolamp delay THE IGNITION MUST BE TURNED ON (it is best if the engine is running, otherwise, you'll have to clear the low oil pressure warning, etc.). Push the "Setup" button once, and the display says something like "Push Reset For System Check." Press "Setup" again while this is displayed and the display changes to "Autolocks," press it again and you get "Easy exit seat (if equipped)", again and you get "Reverse mirrors (if equipped)," and finally, push it one more time to get "Autolamp" (there are other options if you keep pressing "Setup").." When "Autolamp" is displayed you can select different values for the delay (up to 120 seconds) by pressing reset.

Is it possible you are near a source of strong radio emissions? I've heard these can cause problems with the remotes.
I have a 2003 Expedition which is similar to yours. I just verified the instruction work on mine. So, at least for me, things are working as the manual says.
Regards,
Ed White

C. E. White wrote:

I don't know then if it is an aftermarket or not. I note that if I push the lock button once it locks, if I push it again, the horn sounds. I've thought all along that meant that I have an alarm. Maybe it only sets the horn off when the panic button is hit?

Thanks, after you confirmed that it "should work" I played with it some more. Since it was in the garage, I didn't turn the engine on and kept getting the warnings/readings. Have a 60 sec delay now.

Remote
An alarm is not standard on an Expedition. It can be added It you push the button once it locks the doors. Pushing it again immediately after pushing it the first time will make the horn beep. The beep is just to confirm that you have locked the door. If the horn beeps twice it means a door is not completely closed. The horn beeping and lights flashing is just a result of pushing the panic button (pushing the red panic button again should make it stop). If you want an alarm, take a look at http://tinyurl.com/982ah .
Regards,
Ed White

I find an online pdf easier to search than the paper guide, although you still have to guess at what the proper word is. For this, maybe searching for "horn". The table of contents and the index both neglect any mention of "panic", "alarm", or "horn" for my 2005 Escape.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/ownerlit/default_retail.asp
I have disabled the panic button on my key fob. I opened it up, and put a chunk of toothpick on each side of the button.

wrote in message

the
I agree with you that searching a PDF is a lot better than paging through the paper manual. The index at the back of the paper manual is limited. It doesn't mention "alarm" but does refers to an "anti-theft" system. The index doesn't reference the individual function of the remote, but the "remote entry system" section describes the features of the key fob (including the panic button).
Ford is very good about making Owner's Manuals available on-line. In addition to the Motorcraft site, you can also get them from
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp (no registration required) http://myford.fordvehicles.com/ (registration required)
Regards,
Ed White
Ed White

I wish that other manufacturers would also post manuals.
Ford has some lack of synchronization between sites. Some of the sites are unavailable at times, some have different versions.

Has "2nd edition" for my 2005 Escape Hybrid. But sometimes the site just isn't there. "fleet.ford" makes me think I'm trespassing.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp Used to have a link to the owners manuals. The link is gone, but if you had the page bookmarked, it's still there: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/ownerlit/default_retail.asp
Has the first edition, but the site always seems to be there. Maybe it's not going to be updated any more, and that's why the link to it disappeared.

"We are temporarily unable to provide the Owner Guide for this vehicle. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later. " This has been there for a long time, possibly since the change to the 2006 model year.
I would expect this to be the "best" site. Too bad it doesn't work.
--
---