2004 Expedition - spare wiring harness

I need to tap into 12v under the dash so I can wire my radar detector and a blue firefighter strobe. I found an unused connector under the steering column. It's made for 6 pins, but only has 5. Where can I
get more info on this? I'd like to get a wiring diagram telling me what each pin is. I put a voltmeter on it, but the cars being so high-tech these days, I'd like more info. Are there wiring diagrams in the internet I can get?
--Scott
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Are you certain it isn't the ODB2 diagnostic port?
I believe that plug is for the add-on trailer connector. You should be able to find power, parking lights, and brake lights in that plug.
says...

What would a trailer connector be doing under the dash? How can I verify what this is, but a voltmeter on the pins and turn on blinkers etc?
--Scott
says...

Grey 6-pin connector ??
Trailer brake controller connector probably
Johan
says...

On 17 Nov 2004 17:26:01 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Scott G.) wrote:

Not a trailer connector - trailer brake controller connector. Literally plug it in and secure it and you're done. I watched a buddy of mine install his brake controller in less than 10 minutes on his '02 Super Duty.
yea that thing. I could word what I was thinking right.
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message (Scott G.)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:19:57 GMT, "mayhemkrew"
hehe, had that same problem flying yesterday when trying to talk to the tower.
And even then, I COULDN'T type what I was trying to say. I need to stop posting to newsgroups before I goto bed.
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message wrote:

If you have the large round 7 pin connector at the rear of the truck, then you should have a connector under the dash for an an electric trailer brake controller connection. My first Expedition came with a pigtail that plugged into the connector under the dash. My newer Expedition didn't include the jumper but my brake controller supplier sold me a jumper cable to connect the brake controller to this connector.
Regards,
Ed White
"Scott G." wrote:

I have no idea what the ODB2 diagnostic port is. I am trying to figure out what the connector is for. Are there wiring diagrams online somewhere?
--Scott
says...

It is the electric brake controller connector. It should have 12V on one of the pins. Here is an expample of a jumper cable designed to plug into this connector - http://hitchestogo.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HTG&Product_Code 260 . I think the 12V is the pin with the "pink" wire. See http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm .
Ed
"Scott G." wrote:

Curious what jusridictions use BLUE strobes for fire vehicles.
AFAIK (WA and MT) blue is "law enforcement only".
IN uses them for vol. firemen.
--
Mark
"R. Asby Dragon" <ube_never @ YAHOO . COM> wrote in message
Illinois uses blue for Firemen
North Carolina blue is "law enforcement only".
It would be nice to have some continuity between the states, so you would know who or what may be trying to pull someone over.
Blair