2004 ford Freeestar added park fog lamps

We purchased a 2004 ford Freestar from a dealer in Vernon B.C Canada witih in month time During night driving we found out there is a lamp fault with the wiring on
the lamp circuits When the park lamps are turned on there are 2 brighter lamps in the front bumper that are lit as well These cannot be turned off when parking on the road side or at the street curb The lamp are also hard wired and tied to the High beam and Low beam operations, And we can no longer respect the eyes of the uncoming motorists When parking or driving and using High or low beam operations You can view the compliant and the response from The safety person at Ford, on the link below http://www.rafeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid035 We are unhappy with the response Because the Lamp design in the unit Take away our ability to drive defensively, To meet road and weather conditions, And to offer respect to others who share the roadways and approach with a vehicle at night We reserve the right to, Use driving and or fog lamps when they are required And have the right to conserve energy by shutting of items that use fuel to Run Lights that may not be required at the moment. RJ
Save energy? The alternator at idle produces more energy than is needed at the time. The excess is stored in the battery. It is my understanding that the daylight running lights are required by law in all of the Canadian Provinces, are they not
mike hunt
rebuff wrote:

Good Morning yes DRL are required on Vehicles in Canada
And the DRL is in the low beam on this unti and works very well My complaint is with the added parking lamps in the Bumper
That are in addition to the 2 already supplied amber parking lamps
WE dont need 100% more parking lamps on the highways to shine added light into the eyes of oncoming motorists These burn fuel and cause discomfort to others who share the highways
Yes Daytime running lights are required in canada
The unit has D.R.L built into the low beam and it works great
My complaint is the two additional white parking lamps installed in the front bumper that cannot be shut off
They have 2 required amber colored parking lamps what that means is the parking lamps are increased by 2
and There is 100% more parking light for others to see that I cannot shut off
and Its on every time I select park lamps, Low beam or high beam Its a Made in Canada eye Torture test for other drivers
Do you mean to say that when your parked at the curb with the vehicle in park with the motor off, the drive & parking lights remain on?
Or is this when the vehicle is running while its parked?
So Ford made it so the fog / driving lights come on when the parking lights are turned on and when the headlights are turned on. That is strange to not offer an on - off switch.
This is all in the name of Safety, you know.
If your fog / driving lights are blinding other drivers is there an adjutment that can be made to better aim them?
Good Luck.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~296,339 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
Thanks for the comments This is an important issue and is an insult to public highways safety because
The vehicle has a nice pair of amber parking lamps installed they work great
And the DRL work in the low beam of the headlams ( Nicely)
and than they installed a second set of Lamps in the front Bumper with no switch to allow operator control, These additional lamps are hard wired to the head light switch so every time you select Park lamp, vehicle lamps high beam or low beam
Now you have 4 parking lamps lit and you cannot shut the additional ones off This exceeds the allowable brilliance for parking lamps by 100 % set in the B.C M.V act regulations
see the link below to track the complaint from square 1
http://www.rafeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid035
Thanks for the comments much apreciated, THis means any time we are parked at the curb at night and we want to have the motor running to keep warm and want the dash gauges illuminated
And have turned on the parking lamps so the vehicle dash gauges are lit so we can read them ( Park lamps are selected)
there are 2 amber colored parking lamps lit. at the front of the vehicle really nice to see
and In the front bumper there are 2 more white parking lamps lit as well
That means the parking lamps are increased by 2
And there is 100% more light to to display to the oncoming drivers in Park lamps, low beam. and high beam operations
Its a made in Canada eye torture teast for the eyes of oncoming motorists.
The sad part this may be coming or already is in a place where you live.
THis unit has Daytime Running Lamps Built into the Low beam of the lights and it operates really well.
Please read the article and visit the weblink and see the allowable light allowed in the B.C. regulation and the additional light that is not required on the vehicle
candlepower (cp.) a unit formerly used for measuring the light-radiating capacity of a lamp or other light source. One candlepower represents the radiating capacity of a light with the intensity of one "international candle," or about 0.981 candela as now defined. Since 1948 the candela has been the official SI unit of light intensity, and the term "candlepower" now means a measurement of light intensity in candelas, just as "voltage" means a measurement of electric potential in volts..
From the link below
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictC.html
So based on above information,
1 candlepower = 0.981 candela
Proper park lamp Replacement Bulbs are 2.25 candlepower in the park filament portion of the bulb
or 0.981X 2.25 = 2.207 Candela each bulb X 2 bulbs one L.H and one R.H. = 4.414 candela
Which is safety Regulated Under the M.V act regulations for the Vehicles front parking lamps This was supplied on the vehicle in Amber Color and really easy to see. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- However 2 more white lights are supplied in the lower bumper and are tied too and operate with the lamps above.
These are 125 candela X 2 = 250 candela more than allowed or 250 divided by the figure of 4.414 which is 56.63 times more Light than allowed in the B.C. Motor Vehicle safety regulations 4.10
even 50% of this non required light would be an insult to any the safety regulations
its No wonder we have so many vehicles on the highways that are making our night driving more difficult,
and this complaint is only related to park lamps,
Have a nice day an safe motoring to you and yours BJ
Block out the offending lamps with tape and get on with your life.
I second that. This Freestar light thing is getting a bit old.
There seems to be a lot of concern about the implimentation of DRL in the United states, Having been a Semi trailer operator, Mechanic, Vehicle inspector, safety and accident prevention and accident investigation oriented person with 50 years of experience,
Like many of you, I was a bit dubious at first, As an equipment Supt. we installed 2.200 DRL kits on vehicles in my area and in B.C we installed 6.600 DRL kits, and seen a decrease in vehicle collisions, Where we had between 4-6 frontal collisions annually in our area, and noticed a real improvement in the safety attitude of our operators, ie, They felt a lot safer operating vehicles on the roads and reported hardly any near miss accidents that we regularily experienced before,
The best I can say is try not to feel That you are being treated like You cant shut off the lights youself.
But in the big picture there are a lot of drivers out there that are probably not as careful as you are,
And we will all benifit by having your skills used by other people that do not practice the same safe driving skills as you do
we have a Mini van and a motor home both equipped and we love them and feel better that other people can always see us,
We like the DRL1 which is the model that cancels out when the parking brake is applied
see weblink below for information
http://www.pacificinsight.com /
BJ
Have a nice day,
We found the problem with the additional parking lamps Mounted in the front bumper of the 2004 Ford Freestar
The vehicle has 2 legal amber colored park lamps on the front of the unit that operate at the Normal C.P Candela 2.207 each total for 2 lamps 4.414
These are really nice,
Than there is a double up of the Park lamp standard, Because of two more white lamps mounted in the from bumper.
These came from the factory with the wrong bulbs for park lamp operations Bulb # G.E 912 at 12 C.P.
The proper bulbs for this operation are Bulb # 916 at 2 C.P.
The safety standard for park lamp operations is built into the Bulb designed for the applications,
The amber colored park lamps operate with the high and low beam lamp operations to depict the side of the vehicle in the event of headlamp burnout. And prevent the vehicle from being mistaken for a motorcycle
WE are installing the proper bulbs on the next oil change ( cost of the bulbs aprox $ 3.00 for two in a bubble pack)
You can find the technical Bulb information In the following G.E manuals Miniature and sealed beam applications catalogue # GE 20699, and G.E lighting and selection guide # PC28870 most auto retailers have the manuals
There are several other Ford and Mercury units with the Wrong Bulbs installed they can be found in the above manuals
This wrong bulb installation is related to product sales and is an insult to the eyes of the oncoming motorists And prevents the driver from shutting off added parking lamps that are lit at all highway speeds
for vehicle and highway safety improvements on the Canadian and American highway systems
WE need a major recall of the units using the Wrong bulbs for the Parking lamp operations
Cheer BJ