2004 ranger

I bought a 2004 Ranger 4 X 4 brand new with 13 miles on the odometer. It has been a very good little pickup & the only problem I ever had was a flat tire when I got screwed by running over
a screw. The Goodyear tire shop said the steel cords were un-damaged & they patched it from inside & it has held air for over a year. The other problem was a PATS failure & even with four spare keys, the instrument cluster padlock icon would just flash when I tried to start the vehicle. I had it towed to the dealership where I bought it from & they replaced the PATS transceiver. Other than that everything else works great & I perform the proper maintience at the required intervals. Why do so many people complain about the ranger when every make & model of all motor vehicles has it's own can of worms somewhere.
Shawn wrote:

I complain about the ranger because it is small, hard on fuel, terribly uncomfortable to drive, lacks power.
I have an 02, with 200,000kms on it (120k miles), the motor went at around 180k, the rear end is going on its 3rd one now, still in the shop over a week.
it has all kinds of little quirks...
The ECU needs replacing currently effecting my ABS system..
The springs are very very light, i've broken 4 leaves and finally replaced the whole set on each side.
The shocks are too light duty to do anything with.. but you can't put anything heavier.. or i'd break the frame worse than it is already..
oh, yes, the frame broke off at the back right by the shock mounts...
lets see... at about 60,000kms the spindle broke on the front, and the wheel came back and smashed my passenger door.
on the bright side the transmission is very good... all the other woes about the automatic transmissions (i know a guy on #5 with an 04 3.0L w/ 180k kms).
All that said... i can get a much better truck for basically the same price, and only a few MPG harder on fuel... its called an F150
I wish they would stop making rangers in 2008 like they planned... so nobody needs be plagued by these poor excuses for a compact halfton ever again....
Picasso wrote:

I would like to point out that there are two Ford Rangers, the US model, made by Ford, and an unrelated model, designed by Mazda and sold in many markets outside North America.
You can read more about it at wikipedia.org and other sites.
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

Well I live in Canada... if i lived in Thailand i might actually get a good ranger... such as the one with the 3.0L diesel...
Picked up a 97 for my son..... no complaints here.... 19 years old - hauls his quad - he likes to 4X4.... 270,000 kms on the truck, a used motor was installed before I picked it up.
If you're looking for good gas mileage... I suggest a Civic or a hybrid...
Just because something will fit in the box doesn't mean the truck can haul it.... The springs and the shocks are adequate for the trucks rated payload.... If you needed a half ton, why are you driving a Ranger?
I live in Canada, too... I just don't know why that would make a difference...
Jim Warman wrote:

Uhhm... i don't haul anything with my ranger.
Putting the fourwheeler in the back (just BARELY fits) about 3 times a year smoothens the ride... but is not doing any favors for the truck... a fourwheeler is FAR too heavy for a ranger.
Pathetic gas mileage. for all the power the 3.0L has, a fella might as well get a 4 banger Sonoma that gets over 30MPG in the 5spd.
i just calculated my last tank... (i log ALL tanks of fuel BTW)...
15.67L/100KM (14.99mpg) This is on the NEW motor (by new i mean came from a vehicle in the junk yard with 27,000kms on it)
Just this weekend, I took a 5.3 GMC from the car lot for a day, I put over 300kms on it... i got 14.41mpg with that truck. This weekend I Hope to take a ford and do the same thing (i know the guy on the lot)

...because the one thing humans do well without any training is complain.
My 2002 4X4 XLT Ranger 4.0L 5speed automatic transmission has 58,000 miles on it, no real problems. I had to clean the IAC valve once, that took all of 10 minutes. Plenty of power, rides very good, I average 18 miles per gallon with normal driving, highway a bit better at 21mpg, and that is with 4.10 gears.
spk

your last sentence is oh so true.

But you can't judge a book by it's cover & the hottest looking Dodge Viper may look cool in the parking lot but be totally useless if a connecting rod is protruding through the oil pan. Looks can be deceiving & I really think that it is personal preference on what vehicle to own & drive. I really like the Ranger while others prefer a full sized pickup like the F-150 series. I don't do any really heavy hauling or towing but it was nice to transport a full sized refrigerator or oil furnace in the box to my house using my "tiny" pickup. It works really nice for me & I love the truck even though I would like to disable the PATS system but I will have to wait until the extended warranty expires before I poke around the ECM control circuit.