2004 Taurus Pricing

Hi All,

I have a nearby Ford dealer that has a good number of 2004 Taurus' for sale. Checked them all on Carfax and all come back as rental vehicles that the dealer got at auction. Without going into the pro's and con's of purchasing an ex-rental, I would like opinions on what the dealer actually paid for these at auction. Any guesses educated or otherwise? Most are SES with cloth interior, with and without Duratec engines... Basic cars. All around 20,000 miles. Dealer is asking 10995 for each. Trying to figure out what to offer.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
Malcolm Fjords

why on earth would u want a ford

run away

hurc ast

Reply to
full_name

I purchased a "new" 2004 Taurus SES, sunroof, leather, etc. on December

27th. I paid $12,998.00 and felt that I got an outstanding deal. I paid the full asking price and the car has been perfect so far. It had 20104 miles on it when I purchased it. I check carfax and found out that it was a Hertz rental car in the Los Angeles area. I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing another car like this one and saved lots of $$$$$$ too.

Reply to
Jim

Oops, forgot. I figure that the dealer paid ~$7500.00 - $8000.00 for these units at auction.

Reply to
Jim

Haven't you ever heard, "I drove the damn thing like it was a RENTAL car." I remember in my youth that when a friend had his father's rental we found they would take a beating and go where no 4X4 would go.

I would get an extended warranty.

Reply to
Scott

If you want to buy an ex-rental Taurus, wouldn't there be a good selection at the Hertz used car lot? Hertz claims to have such things as service records and additional warranty for the used rental cars that they sell.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

FYI

I have rented cars in my business for nearly 2 decades, worked with many others who rent them regularly too. I would never buy a used rental car. The large majority of car renters are much harder on rental cars then they would be on their own car. I know for the most part I was. I've trashed the hell out of many a Hertz rental car. Buyer beware.

Reply to
351CJ

I have owned a couple of cars which were previously rental cars (including the one I now drive). Both have been excellent vehicles. Perhaps not all people are destructive with rental cars as you are. Some would consider is dishonest to purposely "trash the hell" out of some one else's property.

Reply to
mcalister

The 2004 Grand Am V6 I rented (Enterprise) a few weeks ago had 14.7k miles showing with the factory fill oil. It was *BLACK* and *SLUDGY* and the "omg please change the oil asap!" light did everything it could to get my attention.

Now tell me... Would you buy this car? Me - No way unless it was under

50% of book value.

JS

Reply to
Jacob Suter

Say what you will, Rental cars are red headed step children, nobody (including the rental company that owns it) ever loves them and takes care of them. At best they get treated OK generally they get treated less then OK.

BTW: Lots of people consider driving rental cars hard getting their money's worth.

Reply to
351CJ

money's

It's a crapshoot like almost any other secondhand car purchase. I've bought a couple of fleet [not rental] cars on eBay sight unseen. Got reasonable deals (after factoring in necessary repairs). The only difference I see with a rental is that the rental will probably be more expensive.

Reply to
larwe

If there is a white one with a grey cloth interior, and cracked front bumper cover I run it into the ditch at 60 mph in Indiana last November.

Good Luck

Harry Face

Reply to
Dave

What can I say, I hit a patch of snow that had blown over from the side.

Harry Face