2005-2006 Mustang V-8

Page 1 of 2
2005-2006 Mustang V-8 auto trans
I'm used car shopping and have not had rear wheel drive car in 10 years.
Any comments good or bad (about the car)?
How's the leg room? Is the window sill too high to hang an arm out the window comfortably? How's the gas mileage? Any strange quirks, like not being able to read the gauges in daylight (like many GM products)?
I'm going to rent one for a few days eventually but would like other's opinions, too.
Thanks, Paul
Paul wrote:

Mustang says, Get in my belly! And take it for a drive it's your opinion that counts. You ask how's the leg room? Well how tall are you? How's the gas milage. What are your driving habits. And which engine are you wanting? I'll tell you this, it's been completely redesigned. It actually doesn't look like Ford made it. The fit and cosmetics are like Japanese and thats meant in a good way. It looks like a Mustang and they put some retro similarities like the original had. Dash, gauges, 4 head lamps (2 in the grill area). Go to the Ford web sight and look at it
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 04:25:39 +0000, Paul wrote:

RWD has only a couple of disadvantages IMHO and they involve snow, slick roads and ice. I drive a 92 Chevy Caprice RWD that is great until it snows a lot and then it is pretty much a wounded buffalo in the snow :)
However, RWD is cheaper to maintain, easier to diagnose problems with (especially noise related problems) and for pure handling and driving fun it is superior which is partially why the big 3 are going back to RWD.

I'm just a rental refugee but I had the V6 rag top for 2 weeks and I absolutely loved it. In fact I loved it so much, I am shopping for a Stang' as well but I am undecided as to V8 or V6.

I'm 6'1 230lbs and I had no problem at all.

No problem for me. I've had the pre-2005 models as rentals in the past and I did notice the window too high thing, but it didn't really bother me. They seem to have improved it in the 2005+ models.

I got 27mpg overall (mostly open highway in upstate NY) and I was driving it like a maniac. The car had a little over 1000 miles on it when I started and almost 2000 when I gave it back.

Not that I could tell.

I think you are going to either love it or hate it. I loved it and it got attention everywhere I drove it.
I haven't tried a V8 yet, but the V6 was no slouch at all and who can argue with 25+mpg !

Buy the V8, the percentage of purchase price retained is much better. I have a 2007 Mustang GT convertible on order, my fifth GT convertible. I had a 1999, 2001, 2003 and currently drive a 2005. I can get 25 MPG highway, driving @ 75 MPH and all Mustangs, as do most Ford, use regular grade gas. The 300 HP/ 345 FP of torque easily keeps the car in fifth gear most of the time Although I have a 2006 Zephyr, I drive the Mustang year around in the mountainous area of eastern Pa, no problems. The V6 Zephyr with a six speed only does 2 or 3 more MPG. Tractionlox axle and traction control are standard. Add a good set of winter tires, NOT snow tires.
The 2005 was an all new car, based in the Lincoln LS/Jaguar S chassis, and a much better car all around than the previous models. I paid around $5,000 total delivered to replace the 99, 01 and 03. The resale on the 2005 is so great the 07 is only costing me $3,500, total delivered. Not bad when you factor in the selling price on each was at least a $1,000 more than the one before. I'm 6'3" 220 LB and 80 years old Hell, I have even picked up some young stuff. Had one last week that could not have been a day of 59. ;)
mike hunt

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:26:52 -0400, Mike Hunter wrote:

I have found that with most of the cars I have owned over the years, the larger engine actually got better mileage for me than friends who purchased the smaller motors. My theory is that it's just working less hard and I'm not constantly stomping on it to get the car to go. My Caprice 305 gets 26mpg overall, mostly because it cruises very well with a light foot on the gas.
I agree with you the GT does retain it's value better. By 'winter tires' what do you mean? Blizzaks or something like that?

I agree. From what I could tell after driving a 2004 Vert and a 2006 Vert, the 2006 feels much more solid to me.
I paid around $5,000

You sound like a riot Mike!! God Bless ya!

Or perhaps, you just drive better.
Cars with smaller engines do usually get better gas milage. That is why the EPA ratings are usually better. Of course, we all know that EPA ratings are only estimates.
My guess is that if you had the car with the smaller engine, you would even get better milage. It all depends on how you drive them and how you maintain the cars (e.g., keeping tires filled with air).
Jeff

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:53:15 +0000, Jeff wrote:

It's possible, but as an example I just had a rented Saturn Vue and it was possbily one of the slowest cars/SUVs I have ever driven. Same thing with a Suburu Outback I had as a rental a couple of months ago. They were both very underpowered and I got horrible gas mileage with both of them.
I tend to be gentle on cars, no jack rabbit starts, but I do like to cruise fast once on the freeway. Every car I have ever had has lasted me at least 100k miles and most go up into the 200k range. My Caprice is pushing 400k miles with original engine and transmission.
You might have something though about my driving style matching bigger motors and thus getting better mileage.
The Vue has a Honda engine and like most Japanese manufactures they wind up their engines to get HP and torque suffers as a result. Torque is what gets you going and keep you going up hills and mountains. That it why Toyotas, Subarus and the like die on the grades, unless you run the gears. When you do that mileage drops off.
mike hunt

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:57:53 -0400, Mike Hunter wrote:

I hear ya'!! I almost crashed the thing 15 seconds after I got into it driving off the Hertz lot. Came up to a four way Stop to make a left turn and everyone just sat there looking at each other. Being from NYC I took the lead and proceeded to make my turn. Hell, if nobody else was going to move I would. Stomped the gas on the Vue and it just sagged and wallowed as a gigantic Hertz bus on my left almost crashed into me because he had the same idea!!
(I never thought they would attack and wound their own!!)
I spent a week with the Vue and hated it. Slow, very wide turning circle and difficult to "vue" out of. IOW lot's of blind spots. I will say it was very comfortable inside and seemed to be well constructed but it was so slow and had such saggy throttle response I would consider it dangerous to drive in city traffic or anywhere you need quickness. I'm not trying to compare an SUV with a sports car of course, but that Vue was a real POS.
As I said, with me driving both vehicles, the Zephyr does get better mileage but nothing to brag about considering the GT is far more powerful when one needs to get going or to get out of the way. ;)
mike hunt

Please post inline. It is very hard to follow a thread with your top-posting.
I guess you are saying that you don't have anything of importance to say.
I would have to agree.
Jeff
I'll try to remember that next time ;)
mike hunt

Jeff wrote:

I thought TOP-POSTING was dead???

Mike. Contrary to Jeff's comments, I find top posting makes it much easier to find the latest info in a thread.
Bill

Yes, but I have found Blizzaks not to be as good as similar tires from other manufactures.
mike hunt

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:26:52 -0400, "Mike Hunter"
Not Cobra's, not Mach 1's - Premium gas only.
snipped-for-privacy@millvaley.net wrote:

They're out of my price range anyways. :(
One can buy a new GT coupe for around 24K, much less than many of its competitors cars that offer only a V6. For a 'sporty' car they are powering the wrong set of wheels and therefore do not handle as well ;)
mike hunt
" Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul

Mike Hunter wrote:

Actually there are parts of the country where a $3,000 markup is not uncommon...
Mike Hunter wrote <and I snipped>:

300 HP is correct, but it is rated at 320 FP of torque. Same for 2007.
--
Cheers, Bob