2005 Escape

I would appreciate any information, either from this group or, if someone can advise, where else I may look. I am interested in the new ('05) Escape.
New this year is "intelligent" 4wd. Previous models had a switch that would lock or unlock 4wd. Ford salespeople state the new system is better (duh!), but the lack of a locking mechanism that one can "turn on and turn off" doesn't compute as ''better'' to me. I'd like to try to understand the differences between the former system and the new one. I haven't found any useful / knowledgeable information at either the Ford website or at a dealership. Anyone able to help? Thanking in advance. -Brad
Sort of like what Subaru has been selling for about fifty years, but in a bigger vehicle, that costs less money, and has a more powerful V6 engine that uses regular gas rather than a high winding 4 cy that requires premium fuel. Power goes to the wheels with the most traction, primarily to the rear, except when need in the front.
mike hunt
Brad Alden wrote:

Did Ford change that for 2005? All the other Escapes from 2001 through 2004 are front wheel drive.
Tom F.

someone
Escape.
would
(duh!),
any

off"
the
found
One of the advantages of AWD is the power can be biased to the rear for better handling when in use. You are correct, when not engaged, FWD is primary .
mike hunt
"Tom F." wrote:

Too bad. I was kind of hoping they would change it to RWD. I have a 2002 Escape 2WD and the traction is not the greatest taking off from a stop on wet or sandy surfaces. Great vehicle otherwise. I've had no problems with it, mileage is pretty good for that size SUV, and the power and handling are great. Just have to be careful from a dead stop.
Tom F.

that
off"
the
found
What you describe is typical of all FWD vehicles when the weight shifts to the rear.
mike hunt
"Tom F." wrote:

True, but I've had 2 other FWD's ('89 Probe and '00 Eclipse), and this one is definitely the touchiest. Probably because it's the heaviest also.
Tom F.