2005 Escape Recall Notice What if I don't bother?

So we got a recall notice regarding our 2005 Escape. The defect is in the latch for the hatch door. Apparently if there is an accident, the rear hatch can open and the contents of your trunk can get dumped on
the road. Ford considers this a hazzard; I don't carry hazardous materials.
What happens if I don't bother with the recall?
Anytime a technician works on door mechanisms invites problems. I know that if they screw up the job, they are ultimately responsible, but I'd rather not have the hassle.
I had a similar recall on another vehicle a few years go and the the technicians screwed up the job, scratched (gouged) the door (of course the denied it) and the door rattled. They eventually fixed it, but I waisted a lot of time and was left with body damage.
This particular recall will tie up the car for a day; another big hassle.

They will send you a recall notice a few more times. That's it.
If you go to a Ford dealer for repairs, just them that you know about the recall, but I decline to have the problem fixed, and I authorize them to fix whatever your brought the truck for only if you do not fix anything related to the recall. It's your truck; they cannot touch anything on it without your authorization.
Jeff

msterspy wrote:

I remember when the "Bigfoot" trucks were recalled to replace the extra-large wheels & tires with standard issue F series wheels & tires. Obviously, this made the trucks look pretty goofy, and a lot of, I'm guessing most, owners didn't want to do it. Ford took the position that if all the recall campaigns were not performed, they would do no warranty work on the vehicle.
Does anyone else remember it this way? I had just started in the field at the time, but this is how I think it was handled.
Ask your dealer if there are any implications in this regard.
Rob

Passengers not wearing seatbelts tend to get tossed out the hatch too. This has been a recall on several minivans in the past.
I have not received a recall notice for my 2005 Escape Hybrid. I thought it might already have the recall parts. There are a couple of little wedge/hook things in the hatch area that look like they would engage and trap the hatch if it were rear-ended.
What is noticeably changed during the recall work? If it's just these blocks, then I don't think there'd be a chance for much of a problem.

It would probably be hard to avoid. I took a car in for non-warranty work and had recalls applied, and TSB verified. Don't ask, don't tell, except that there were stickers under the hood indicatng that various things had been done.

--
---
Would we get a recall notice if the recall wasn't necessary? We took delivery last June. Maybe the fix was in place? GuessI'll have to check it out.
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:09:27 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XReXX2005X.usenet.us.com wrote:

Sometimes the recall will have us inspect to see if the updated parts are installed.... sometimes they know that the parts for the whole recall commitment are faulty. I haven't had the opportunity to see the rech sheets so I can't comment further.
Now for the part you didn't want to hear... If an incident occurs and the subsequent investigation decides that there was a problem with the hatch that caused or contributed, Ford has done everything in their power to rectify the condition and it now someone elses problem (i.e., whoever didn't want the work performed). Most modern autos rely on doors an such staying closed to maintain as much integity as possible in an accident.
HTH.

Just talked to the local dealer today about the latest recall on our 2002. Its for an type idle adjustment. I asked " what have I heard about a rear door/hatch recall" and she said that Ford is waiting until they have enough parts at all the dealers to perform that particular recall. She said in a month or so, we'd be notified about that one.
R.