2005 Focus Brakes

Do brakes squeal when needing to be replaced like GM's do?
TIA

Most vehicles have pads with little specks of metal in them on the inside edge that rattle at a high pitch when in contact with the moving rotors.
I have 34K on the car, and the pedals feel solid.

"K2NNJ" wrote

That just means there's no air in the fluid lines.

Some do, some don't. Depends on whether the pad manufacturer put the springy metal squealer "fingers" on their pads.
Just jack up a corner, pull off the wheel, and look. Generally, if the pad material is thinner than the metal backing plate, we replace them.
If there's lots of material, but the pads still squeal, turn up the radio.
Unfortunately for me, I cannot lift anything heavier than a phonebook, due to recent back surgery.
I was hoping to get an idea whether I should bring it in to the dealer to check. I forgot to mention two things. One is the car has been sitting for 6 months. When I started to have back problems I couldn't drive. Two, if I remember correctly, I thought I sprayed brake dust cleaner on the wheels and that solved it.
I will do that again to see if it helps, and if not I will have it checked by the dealer.
Thanks for all the replies!

It works like this: If it squeeks with out pressing the pedal then goes away when you do it is most likely the "wear indicater" meaning the pads are getting very thin. If it only squeeks when you press the pedal it could be almost anything, sometimes they squeek for no aparent reason, but a brake job is needed to fix it. If it sounds rough, grinding when you press the pedal the pads are gone and the rotors are being eaten up. 34K is enough miles to need front pads if you drive alot in town, esp if you use the brakes hard.

No grinding. I would notice that. Only squeaks when I Step on the pedal.
I sprayed CRC Brake Clean on the fron two rotors and the noise went away for a day or two and then came back. I am having the 2 fron tires replaced, balanced and rotated, I will ask them to check the brakes. If they tell me I need brakes I always ask to see. If they refuse I go somewhere else. THanks for the post.