2005 Ford Ranger FX4

I purchased in September the above mentioned p/u and wanted to know.

It has the 4.0 L engine and is it a good idea to go from synthetic blend oil to full synthetic.

Are there any advantages

thanks in advance Albert

Reply to
Albert P. Andrascik

Yes - and No.

Synthetic oil is "better" than conventional oil. However, the real question is whether or not it makes economic sense for you. As long as you are using "energy conserving" conventional oil, switching to the same viscosity synthetic oil is not going to increase your mileage. If you use good quality conventional oil and change it at the manufacturer's recommended interval (in your case 5000 for normal service, 3000 for some more severe service categories), it is unlikely you will have oil related problems. I say there are four reasons to consider using fully synthetic oil -

1) You want to go for extended oil change intervals (you should not do this until your warranty is up) 2) You are in an extreme climate (either very hot or very cold) 3) You are heavily loading your truck or towing heavy loads a high percentage of the time, or you do a lot of "high performance" driving (i.e., the engine is working at a high power level much of the time). 4) You just want to feel good about your oil (or maybe you own oil company stock).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

If you decide to go synthetic, which is a good idea if you can afford it, I would wait a few oil changes until the engine is broken in, that's if it isn't already. Probably around 2000 kms would be OK to start using it.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

Cool, nice info