2005 merc can't remove ignition key or shift into park

Unable to shift my 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis GS into park, or remove the ignition key. I can start and drive the car in all gears otherwise. Any ideas of
why this is happening?
065b0505594b06f549b8b6640ba408f1 snipped-for-privacy@example.com says...

Press brake pedal while shifting to park.
PWY
says...

The requirement is to depress the brake pedal to shift out of P.
One is not required to hold the pedal to shift into P, although logic says that if the car is moving then one would desire it to stop before selecting P, and this would mean that the foot would already be on the brake pedal. Either way, this advice does not help solve the problem.
On 11/4/2014 11:07 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:

Can't you just disconnect the shift cable and see if you can shift the tranny manual lever into the park position? If the lever is blocked and there is nothing blocking its motion on the outside, the problem is inside the tranny.
If the tranny can go into Park, then it's usually a problem with the shift linkage or cable.
message

These are the same problem. Get the car to P, and the key will come out.