2005 Taurus runs rough/engine lite on

I had this in to the dealer and they said they "updated the computer" and should be fine. It's not so I have another appointment in the morning. They charged me the $59 labor charge which they will credit me. I just don't have much confidence in them now. Engine light came on some time back and it ran rough that way on and off. One day engine light went off and it ran fine for about 6 months. Now is back to it's old self. Any hints? Thanks

Reply to
ankhe105

It is still under warranty. Take it back to the dealer. If the dealer doesn't fix it, you can go to another dealer.

And, if it still doesn't get fixed right, remember the lemon laws.

Don't fix anything yourself. If the dealer messes something up, it is their problem. If you mess something up, it's your problem.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks Jeff but it's out of warranty for bumper to bumper. I do have extended "Base Care" which won't cover this problem.

Reply to
ankhe105

You should also have the emmissions warranty, which is at least 80,000 mi (you have to look at it to be sure).

And don't forget, this is a return of problem in the past that they fixed. This might be covered from that.

Also, contact the factory rep.

If not, read the unsafe 2006 Ford Freestar thread. It has some ideas on how to get this fixed.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi, the problem is the o2 sensor in your exhaust is bad. If u can take it to a place like advanced auto parts,or a auto zone or somthin that can do a Dianogistics Scan on your ecm/ecu. Your Dianogistics port to plug im the scan tool should be located somewhere under the front left dash... Down by ur feet.

Hope this helps, Poofy

Reply to
poofy4204 via CarKB.com

You hope this helps? You ARE kidding aren't you? What possible clue could you have that the problem is an oxygen sensor? You don't do anyone any favors by throwing wild assed guesses out their. You can speculate about what it could be all you want, but to flatly state that his problem is an O2 sensor is just wrong. You don't even know what codes were set. You don't actually believe an O2 sensor is the only problem which can turn on a check engine light do you?

Reply to
Bob

Too funny, once again the bad ole' O2 sensor gets kicked to the curb!!! Why oh why does everyone have to shoot the messenger??? Parts stores must make so much on them, no wonder they scan for free.

Love to know what codes the OP has.

Reply to
sleepdog

No kidding! If I owned a parts store the first thing I'd do is hire some dumbass to stand out front with a code scanner to help customers guess what their problem could be...... Yes Sir! your O2 sensor is staying lean.... probably a bad O2 sensor.... A few days later the same customer comes back..... Gee mister.... could be a bad Map sensor... Maf sensor, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, etc. etc. etc. I'm sure they make a good living off of people who are determined not to pay someone a "diagnostic fee"

Reply to
Bob

The second sentence on, barely makes up for the stupid first one.

CarKB is the home of what must be the DUMBEST collection of posters... Not all but way too many.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well folks, once again the dealer says they can find nothing wrong with the car. Engine light has been on for about 2 weeks but they say it was not when pulled in to the garage. I thought it still ran a tad rough, not like the new loaner they gave me.

Reply to
ankhe105

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote

CarKB has passed TalkAboutAutos?! Woo-hoo!! Their'e munber wun!!!!!

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Update: They kept the car overnight and drove it around but could not find a problem. Thia morning, they hooked it up to the diagnostic thingy and Voila! The ol' oxygen sensor code popped up. I couldn't believe it but they didn't have one. Had to order it. I had them show me just where it was located and will change it myself.

Reply to
ankhe105

Is that what the dealer told you, "It's the ol' oxygen sensor code popping up!"?

Seriously, before you buy an O2 sensor what was the code number?

Reply to
sleepdog

He shouldn't have a problem, he more than likely has water pump pliers and vice grips in his tool box.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

No, Sleepdog those were my words. I din't have the code on the invoice which I'm sorry now I didn't get. At this point I'll have to take their word for it.

Now, let's all laugh at Bill. Funny isn't he? Takes a real man to lip off on a computer. Let's call him "Keyboard Commando Bill".

Reply to
ankhe105

You have to see so called "mechanics" wandering up to the counter with vice grips, water pump pliers and a screwdriver asking if they can look out in the yard for a particular part to appreciate the statement.

I realize the shop didn't have the part on hand, but why not let them take the risk of the repair? You do realize if you use the part for troubleshooting the counterman will tell you its not returnable. The shop can simply remove the part and peddle it on another job if necessary.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill