2006 E350 Transmission Downshift Jerk

I recently purchased a new 2006 E350 SD Cutaway. 5.4 liter, Automatic, Gas. When stopping the vehicle the transmission jerks as it downshifts into first gear just as it is coming to a complete stop. Thinking this was a defect, I returned it to the dealership and had the technician determine that it was a sticking solenoid. The parts were replaced but it still "jumps" as the transmission downshifts into first gear. I asked to test drive another exact truck on the lot and it is worse than mine. The techs and advisors have heard of no problems like this from other customers but I have never driven a vehicle that does this. Does anybody have any clues, or is this just inherent of the Ford Transmission?

Reply to
glenrms

You're not enabling the tow/haul feature are you? These have been a pretty troublefree trans and I don't recall driving any with any shift bump on coast down ubless tow/haul is turned on.

Reply to
Jim Warman

This is a cutaway so do you have a body on the back yet? If not, that might also be a source of your problem. You have no weight back there to keep traction on your rear wheels when stopping. Start stopping sooner than you normally would, and use less brake pressure, this will keep the vehicle from nose diving and keep some weight on the rear wheels. See if that doesnt help the problem.

Also, these trans have whats called adaptive strategy in them. Meaning they learn how you drive, and adapt shift patterns as such. It sounds to me like the 1st gear clutch is coming in too fast. I still want to know what kind of weight is on the back of this thing.

Reply to
Ford Tech