2006 Grand Marquis seen today

Page 1 of 3
Strolled throught the Mercury lot today looking at the 2006 Grand Marquis GS & LS Premium they had in stock..
The noticable changes on the 06 are.
A revised front end, new grille with thick verticle bars similar to the Mariner, new header panel, new bumper fascia, headlights & turnsignals. Looks more agressive looking than 05.
The Grand Marquis might have optional fog lights for 06. There are cut outs in the outer lower corners of the bumper that had black inserts , mounted from behind filling in the holes.
Mercury Logo on roof sail panels.
For 06 the radio antenna was relocated to the back glass ( like the 04 ) and is no longer on the RR quarter panel like 05. The radio in one GS looked to have a redesigned face plate.
Theres a new gauge cluster with Speedo, Tach, Fuel & Temp gauges. ( No volt or oil pressure gauges ).
The LS Premium has a lighter colored woodgrain trim panel while the GS has a darker walnut look. The 4 p ushbuttons for the driver info center are now located in the woodgrain trim above the AC unit.
The taillight assembly on decklid was redone with whitish grey plastic lens instead of it being all red.
The GS was priced in the $24,000 range.
HF

Thanks Mister Face.

This is the most amazing thing about Grand Marquis - how do they sell them so cheap in a world of $30,000 Avalons and $24,000 Camrys?
Ed
In a world of $3/gal gas prices, it would be hard to sell them for more. My local Ford/Merc dealer hasn't moved one in quite some time.
Jon

Do they get worse mileage now? 24 (or better) seems better than reasonable for a full size rear wheel land yacht.

Nope, better than the 2 I've owned ('89 and '00). But a lot of it is perception.
Buyers are less likely to consider a big boat in when gas prices are high. I was trying to steer my uncle into a GM. He ended up with an Avalon that cost him 15 grand more, and is a lot less comfortable. When you cost out the extra money to own, gas would need to be a lot more than $3 to make up the difference.
The GM is still one of the best values on the road.
Jon

Let me know where the resale is in 5 years on the GM vs. the Avalon.
As a percentage of return on the original purchase price the Mercury GM will be far greater than the Avalon or a Camry. A 2002 Avalon today is worth $5,000 more than a GM but it cost at least $10,000 more to drive home when both were new. Same is true of the GM v the Camry
mike hunt

Not true on the Camary. Sorry, A 2002 Camary is worth FAR more than a 2002 GM.

That my be your opinion but not when one compares the actual drive home price of a V6 Camry and a GM when new. The GM returns a greater return on the original investment than does a Camry
mike

LOL, you really are delusional aren't you? A top of the line GM isn't worth as much as a base Camary after only 3 years!

Do try and follow along...
2006 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Price With Destination Charge and Required Equipments MSRP $25,555.00 Invoice $24,092.00
2006 Toyota Avalon LIMITED Price With Destination Charge and Required Equipments MSRP $34,355.00 Invoice $30,297.00
The Avalon sells for $8800 MORE than the Grand Marquis new.
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Sedan 4D Consumer Rated Condition: Good Mileage: 50,000 Private Party Value $6,280
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS Sedan 4D Consumer Rated Condition: Good Mileage: 50,000 Private Party Value $13,605
The Avalon sells for $7325 MORE than the Grand Marquis 5 years used.
The Grand Marquis gained $1475.00 in value over the Avalon in 5 years
http://www.kbb.com

pays list.

Your math stinks. The premium for the new Avalon is $6235 at actual selling (invoice) price. It is worth $7325 more REAL dollars than the Marquis 5 years later. Means the Marquis LOST something like $1090 in relation to the Toyota over 5 years. And that is ASSUMING those price levels. They vary WIDELY, from city to city, state to state, and country to country. There are MANY places you might have trouble selling the NEW Marquis at even a $4000 discount from list. And selling a 5 year old one for $5000 may take months.
ALSO there has been quite a change in content from 2000 to 2006 on the Avalon. Nowhere NEAR the same car - and theGrand is virtually the same car 6 years later. In 2011 the 2006 Avalon may be worth TWICE what the 2006 Grand Marquis is worth - nobody knows.
And if you want apples to apples, what WAS the selling price of a new 2000 Grand Marquis - vs the actuall selling price of the 2000 Avalon??
Any car is worth exactly what the highest bidder is willing to pay for it on a given day - not one penny less, and not one penny more.

No sir, I used a single source for my numbers (http://www.kbb.com ), while you pulled your numbers out off your ass, I'd say your math stinks! I used the area code 60609 (Chicago Illinois) for my used car prices in US dollars, and the manufacture MSRP is the same everywhere in the US.
Can you read? Because you seem to have missed the first part about following along.
I generally buy my new vehicles at $1500-$3000 under dealer invoice, not MSRP, most people pay more. How good of a deal I or anyone can make has nothing to do with MSRP (a known/constant number) or someone's assertion about which car retains a higher retail value.
Produce your numbers and your sources, or shut up, you are stinking it up in here.

Perhaps in your min , but you first need to do a bit of research my friend. NADA lists a 2003 GM V8 LS, with 25K on the clock, at $17,375. A V6 Camry, with 25K on the clock, is indeed listed $2,000 higher at $19,375. However the larger V8 GM sold new for 24K and the smaller similarly equipped V6 Camry sold new for 29K, or $5,000 MORE when new. The GM offers a far better return, of around 15% more on ones original investment, than the V6 Camry. Economics, 101
mike hunt

You won't win this on Mike. I got into it with a BMW salesman a few years ago. He never comprehended that the BMW may return more dollars or even more percentage after 3 years but, you still lost more absolute dollars. In any case, I could have bought an Escort with the difference and threw it away after two years with money left to buy all the gas for the Escort. The goverment school educated among us have somehow completely bypassed ecomomics 101 and how to balance a check book.
Lugnut
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:19:53 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

LOL, how is it that the same $25K 2002 GM that is worth $10K now is saving you more $ than the $25K 2002 Camary that is worth $16K now? LMFAO!!

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:20:34 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Depends where you are. A 5 year old Toyota or Honda still has value here - you might even have people fighting over it. A 5 year old GM or Ford is pretty near worthless, comparatively.
When GM sold the Nova/spectrum - which was a Corolla, you could hardly give one away.
Same recently with Ford Escort vs Mazda 323. Virtually the same car - but Escorts were a dime a dozen, and people paid top buck for used Mazdas with higher mileage.

NADA guides do not bear our you believes .
mike hunt

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:12:58 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

They are only reported averages. The real world is different. Even the "kelly blue book" allows for large regional disparities.
In Flint a Buick will have a higher resale. In Windsor a ford, in Bowling Green Kentucky, a chev, etc. When Ford puts dinner on your plate and pays your mortgage, you don't drive a Chevy or a Toyota.