2006 Mustang Question. Help Please!!

My wife has recently purchased a Mustang with 4 ltr. V6 and 5 speed manual tranny. When driving from point A to B, I have the tendency to not use all the forward gears in succession. I myself just don't think
it necessary. She is convinced that I am causing undue damage to the drive train. Others have told her that they have never heard of this practice and say you must use all the gears in succession. Could somebody please chime in on this with their thoughts. thank you jimmijim
Try driving the vehicle, using all five gears, and taking notice of the RPMs and speeds at which you would conveniently shift up one gear. Then drive the vehicle down through the gears taking notice of the RPMs and speeds at which you would conveniently shift down one gear.
If you will do that, it will become apparent what gear you need to be in, at any particular RPM or speed, without over loading any gear.
mike hunt

many people have skip shifted over the years. If you are not lugging the eng or slipping the clutch, for the most part it won`t hurt anything. But it is ususally seen as a lazy practice. KB
--
Thunder Snake #9
"Protect" your rights or "lose" them.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What mike hunter said... and as long as you dont strain the engine or slip the clutch, it is a safe practice.
The 4.0 definitely has the torque required to allow this as long as you dont shift early... in fact I think it's better practice to do that than to shift at 1300 or so RPM as some people do. Just 'mix it up'.
Given typical load and acceleration rate and flat road...What counts is the engaged RPM on each gear.
Read what I said.. AGAIN. If she shifts into 3rd at 1500, once clutch engages, and you do as well then it doesnt matter which gear you came from. If RPM drops to 1200 on her shifts, and to 1400 on yours, yours is the better option.
The fact that some never heard of doing that reflects more on their in- experience and callow youth than anything else. IOW they grew up driving 4 cyl VW's and Civics.
you pay..DEAL with it!