2008 Escape 3 liter problem

Nephew's 2008 Escape has developed several problems - virtually at the same time. Intermittently the starter will not crank. Might start on the second
try, or the sixth. Could be a range selector switch - but have not been able to pin it down. It's not the starter - he took it to a garage complaining of the starting problem when it was in to have the throttle cable replaced. They replaced the starter at a cost of $400. Still has the starting problem. Now the headlights pulse when he is at a stop - not sure if they pulse on the road or not - and it is intermittent. Add to these 2, the powertrain light (the yellow wrench) comes on accaiaionally when driving. The flashing lights and the "wrench" lite have only become apparent since the starter was replaced A month ago the ABD/Traction control light occaisionally came on and he had noise in the front suspension - had a bad left outer tie rod end. It was replaced and the ABS traction control issue is gone.
This thing is totally computer controlled from what I have determined. The HL switch tells the computer to turn the headlights on. Turning the key tells the computer to engage the starter - which cranks untill it starts.
Do we have a bad CPU or somrthing like that?????

Have you pulled any codes on it? I'd be cautious of trying any type of repair without doing that first.
When the power train fault light comes on, is the throttle unresponsive? I've read about that happening, and the fix is a throttle body replacement :-( Cleaning seemed to do no good; the only fix was a replacement.
Pulsing headlights might lead me to think it's the alternator. . .
--
SC Tom

No codes. My Auto Xray won't connect and the Autel says the evap monitor is not set, and no codes.

No change in power

Voltmeter on the system is rock steady at 14.4 volts and interior lights etc also appear to be rock steady - only the headlights surge - high, low, or DRL makes no difference. Driving lights APPEAR to remain steady as well.
Sounds like a can-bus control issue of some kind???

Could be, I guess, but I think it may need professional help.
You might try the Escape forums. I used to use www.Escape-Central.com, but they're database seems to be down, or at least it has been for me, for weeks now. There are also www.escape-city.com and http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forums/ford-escape.35/ to list a couple. I found them all to be very helpful when looking for info on my '02 Escape (traded in last month for a '14).
--
SC Tom