2008 Ford Taurus: What's New

Preview here

Why does Ford manufactuer a totally different set of models for the USA and European markets? I know some cars are really geared for the US market, like the big SUV's, due to cheap oil prices, but other manufacturers market similar cars in both continents.

Or are some of the cars similar but named different. Is there a Mondeo in the US under a different name?

------------------------------------------------------------- Ford News:

sjmassey

The US Focus is still based on the previous generation Euro Focus. The Mazda3 and Volvo S40 are based on the current Euro Focus.

The Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique/Mercury Cougar (no longer made) were based on the first generation Mondeo.

The Ford 500/Mercury Montego (to be renamed Taurus/Sable for 2008) are based on the Volvo S80.

The Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan are based on the Mazda6 platform.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Thanks for that info, I knew that some of the models bore some resemblence to the europeans versions, but did not know how intentional that was until now.

Did the american market also get the equivalent of the RS range? I had an Escort RS Turbo back in the mid 90's, lasted about 4 months before it got stolen :-/

Its a shame that Ford did not offer the Mustang to the UK market, a musle car like that would have been popular I think

sjmassey