2010 Edge - After the Sale Suprises

We have three month old new 2010 Ford Edge - Limited. It is a nice vehicle and runs fine. The two after-the-sale surprises are:

- It's a fuel hog. The large print on EPA sticker said up to 25 highway

18 city and we are getting 14 to 15 mpg city and maybe 20 on the highway.

I called Ford and they wanted to charge me to have it checked as there is no warranty on the EPA milage claims. I double checked and small print on the sticker and it does show 14 mpg as the lower end number for city.

- When I went to the dealer to have the oil changed, the Ford Edge uses six (6) quarts rather than the standard five and requires a special (more expensive) oil filter.

Reply to
aRKay

The EPA sticker also says "Your mileage may vary." depending on how and where you drive. The City average for the EPA test includes 35 MPH diving, but it you drive slower, as in stop and go traffic most of the time, you will not get the city "average."

One of my cars is a 2010 Lincoln MKZ V6. It is driven mostly for short trips in town and seldom driving above 20/25 mph. The fuel computers shows only around 12 MPG. However when we do take it on the highway it will average 30/32 MPG or more, yet the EPA highway mileage is 27 MPG. If you live in a mountainous part of the country and seldom see top gear you will not get the best mileage.

My 2009 Mustang GT, 315 HP V8, convertible is driven mostly on the highway and consistently averages 25/26 MPG and the EPA highway mileage is 24 MPG, go figure

You may need six quarts but the recommended interval oil change is 7,500 miles or six months WOF.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

if you believe what mfg's slap on the window, you've got another thing coming

Reply to
Picasso

Fill it with Chevron or Shell gas and see if your mileage improves. There might be a little improvement when it is fully broken in. In spite of what many will tell you, they still need to be driven several thousand miles. Six quarts, special filter? I had to take our new Nitro back in because it had some shifting problem. Took it back twice and I think its ok now, but I will forever wonder about the trans. The Nitro does get 21 on the highway.

The Nitro has the hardest damn armrests I have ever seen in a modern vehicle. No padding whatsoever, your elbow is right on the hard plastic arm rest. About half an hour and your elbow hurts like hell.

Maybe I'll trade you.

Dick Cheney

Define "special oil filter." According to the Motorcraft Catalog, that engine requires a Motorcraft FL-500S Filter. You could also use a Fram PH10575, NAPA 7502, WIX 57502, Purolator L22500, Hastings LF637 / LF641, Luber-finer PH500, Carquest 84502, Baldwin B7449, Mobil PH500, Supertech (Wal*Mart) ST10060, and many others. Hardly "special."

Is your Edge 2WD or All Wheel Drive? I'll bet if you drice a steady 55 and make only a few gentle stops, you too can get 55 on the highway. You mileage is only a little worse that my Mother is getting for her

2009 4 cylinder 2WD Highlander, so I think you are doing OK. I only average a little over 21 mpg in my smaller and lighter Fusion (but mine is all wheel drive which knocks off at least 1 mpg, maybe more). My SO averages about 22 in her 4 Cylinder 2WD RAV4.

The EPA numbers are only useful for comparison. Some people actualyl beat them (my Sister) and soem people don't come close (my younger son). You mileage will improve slightly as the car breaks in. I woudl expect your fuel economy to peak and level off sometime after the first 5000 miles. If you really were worried about fuel economy, you should ahve gotten a Focus, Corolla, Fit, etc. You bought a large, heavy vehicle with a 265 HP engine. If you needed something that large, you should actually feel OK. The Edge does OK for vehicels that large. In that class (V6, Large Crossover) it is about as good as it gets. It is much better than tradition truck based SUVs that are similar in size.

Why do you think 5 quarts is "standard" for engine oil capacity" My Fusion and F150 hold 6 quarts. My SO's and Sisters RAV4's hold 4.3 quarts. There is no "standard" for oil capacity as far as I know. I'd rather have 6 that 3.5 (like a Honda my Sister owned).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The special oil filter was probably just price gouging by the dealer's service department so they did not have to honor the advertised oil/filter change special. The old bate and switch trick.

Reply to
aRKay

You are probably right. If you read the fine print for the soil change pecial it probably says something like "5 quarts and an FL1 oil filter," rate higher in some cases.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In message , aRKay writes

The most telling thing is in your second paragraph, where it say's "up to". That means, a fully warmed up engine on a level track, in top gear and no side wind. Otherwise look at the lower figure, that's the representative one.

Reply to
Clive