2010 Edge Wheel Size Calibration

We have a 2010 Edge Limited with upgraded (18-inch) wheels and tires. I wonder what, if any, effect this upgrade has on the odometer and MPG calculator readings.

The reason for asking is the manual calculation of MPG (miles driven per the odometer divided by fuel used at the pump is always less than the generous MPG displayed. Yes, both were reset at fill up

The Edge does not even come close to the MPG on the EPA sheet Ford used to sell the vehicle. It said 25 MPG highway and 18 City. We get 20 Highway and at best 16 in city.

Could the wheel/tire upgrade effect the numbers?

Reply to
aRKay

Two things you can do:

1) When you are driving down the highway or road, and there is one of those mounted RADARs that show your speed (to encourage people to stick to the speed limit), compare your speed against the displayed speed for your vehicle.

2) When you are driving on a highway, compare the miles driven on the highway according to the mile markers to the miles that pass by according to the odometer. They should be close.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Have you tried checking the accuracy of the speedometer and odometer on an open highway with mileposts? To check the speedometer with a stopwatch, time how long it takes to travel exactly one mile. Then divide 3600 by the number of seconds elapsed to determine your speed. A few examples: 60 seconds = 60 mph, 50 seconds = 72 mph.

Reply to
Bob

Your mileage is in line with the mileage reported by Consumer Reports:

CR's overall mileage, mpg 16 CR's city/highway, mpg 11 / 26 Measured fuel usage on CR's 150-mile test trip of mixed driving, mpg 20

The Edge is a large heavy vehicle with a large frontal area (i.e., lots of aerodynamic drag).

According to CR other vehicles in this class similar in size get similar mileage.

A vehicle of this size was probably not the best choice if fuel economy is a primary concern, Both the CR-V and Highlander get better mileage. When we were shopping for a new vehicle for my Mother, we looked at the Edge, Highlander, and CR-V. For her we decided on a Highlander (4 cylinder model). It was a little more expensive that a better equipped Edge (V6 SEL) after incentives, but also suited her better and gets better gas mileage. Of the three I actually preferred the Edge (better driving position, much better performance, and likely less expensive to maintain, etc.), but the vehicle was for an older lady who mostly drives 30 miles a week. The Highlander jsut seemed a better fit for Her.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I have Streets and Trips w/GPS locator on my computer. It tells me exactly what my MPH is through the satellites... I don't know if other GPS units give you the MPH....

Reply to
OldHarleyRider

I borrowed a GPS unit from a friend for recent trip and it displays speed that was close to the speedometer. I really don't know how to check the Ford MPG reading. It is a average thing from the last reset. We filled up and drove for about 100 miles non stop n the interstate and then filled up. The miles/fuel used was less than on the Ford display. The Ford display is generous to satisfy owners.

The purpose of my posting was to find out if Ford does anything in the computer system to compensate for different size wheels and tires.

Reply to
aRKay

Yes.. the wheel/tire size is part of the programmable parameters in the module that collects vehicle speed sense. Depending on year and model, this could be (but not limited to) the PCM or the ABS module.

A few years ago, Ford would let us play with revs per mile or tire size to pretty much customize the speedo. These past few years, Ford has taken away that ability and has limited our choices to tire sizes available from the factory.

So.. what can you do? You can visit the websites of the tire manufacturers involved (both the original tires and the replacement tires) and compared the roll out of the tires. This will be expressed as "revs per mile" and will give you an indication of how close your replacements are to original. To access the programmable parameters, you will need a scan tool capable of accessing proprietary modules and capable of bidirectional communications.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Go to this site and put in the stock size tire and the new size. It will give you all the info. Distances covered per revoluion, differences in MPH, etc. I used it to re-calibrate my speedo. I re-calibrated with my programmer....

OldHarleyRider

In addition to verifying speed, are you able to verify distance with the GPS?

The MPG meters are never really accurate. They rely on guessing how much gas is being burned, but the energy availble (which varies slightly) and others factors could throw it off.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Good web page but I have no idea what wheel/tire size Ford used at the factory for the computer calibration. The oversized wheels and tires came with the car and were PRICED separate on the sticker so I assume the computer was programmed for correct wheels and tires.

The bottom line is the Edge uses more fuel than we expected. Don't believe the Ford/EPA stickers on new cars. Take the lowest extreme number listed and you will be close.

I called Ford after two tanks of fuel and they told me I would be charged by the dealer to check the factory calibration settings. So much for customer satisfaction and TQM.

The Edge is a good vehicle it just uses more fuel than we expected.

Reply to
aRKay

Stock Edge Size is :

235x70x17
Reply to
OldHarleyRider

Well, it has nothing to do with customer satisfaction... and everything to do with not looking....

The VIN decal will list the size of the tires installed at the factory. The speedo calibration will be for those factory installed tires and the factory final drive ratio... Somebody else installed non-stock wheels and tires... somebody else made profit on those wheels and tires.... why is it now the dealers "duty" to do stuff for free?

I'm not trying to look like a dork here but I see the same stuff over and over and over. I could spend my entire day doing free stuff... free advice - a free scan - a free reproduction from the manual.... free-free-free. At the end of the day, I will have a hard time helping my wife find a recipe for warm and fuzzy feelings.

When I had my own store I would joke that people felt that I should buy wire by the roll so I could give it away for free by the foot.

Now... as one final thought... I understand that you bought a car and didn't peruse the VIN decal and therefore didn't compare it to the tag in the corner of the windshield?

Reply to
Jim Warman

I was able to verify GPS reported mileage against odometer reported mileage on my Honda within a couple of tenths of a mile up to 100 miles. At that point the GPS drops the 10ths, so the matchup becomes less interesting.

The GPS mileage may become inaccurate if you travel into any area where satellite coverage isn't continuous, in coincidence with some roads that aren't straight, as the GPS will estimate that your travel is still in the same speed and direction for a while after loss of signal.

Reply to
dold

The Factor sticker in the driver's door jam says my vehicle is equipped with P245/60R18 tires and I have to assume the factory calibrated the car for use with the larger wheels and tires

Reply to
aRKay

Jim,

As noted on the driver door jam Ford equipped our vehicle with P245/60R18 wheels and tires. I have to assume they did the correct calibration.

Reply to
aRKay

They compensate by changing the tire size

Notice:

235x70x17 to 245x60x18

They went from a 70 series to a 60 series....

Reply to
OldHarleyRider

WTF are you talking about? Ford offers a "base" tire and one or more optional tires. Each vehicle will be programmed for the tire/wheel combo it ships with. There is no "compensate".

FWIW, if you had seen what info the scan tool offers, you wouldn't have egg on your face.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I sincerely doubt any re-calibration was done. The difference in circumference between your tires and the stock(base) tires is about 1.2". The difference in fuel consumption would be well within the EPA estimate as posted on the sticker. The operative word here is "estimate". The EPA does not guarantee that you will get exactly their estimate. The miniscule lower mpg you are getting is more than likely caused by the motor working harder to turn the taller wider tires.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

Sorry, I do not have access to a scan tool so just have to live with egg on face

Reply to
aRKay

You need a programmer to re-calibrate the speedometer, NOT a scan tool.....

I already re-calibrated my speedo for 18: oversize wheels and tires.

Reply to
OldHarleyRider