2011 5.0 Convertible questions

I am close to buying a 2011 5.0 convertible (manual), and have a few questions for the group:

  1. What is the benefit of cloth or vinyl for the convertible top? I assume cloth is better, but am unsure. I live in Florida, so the car will never be in snow, but will get beat down by the sun.

  1. Are there any after-market mods considered very important that I should consider? Way back in the past people used to talk about subframe connectors and such, so I was curious.

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe Granto

It is a moot point the vinyl top is standard, cloth is about a $300 option on lesser, models but I'm sure you will find it is included in the 5.0 rapid spec package.

I have owned seven Mustang GT convertibles and the never had a problem with the top, the oldest a 1974 still has the original top. What I do not like about cloth tops is the tend to sage over time but it you intend to keep the car for more than ten years, the "Stayfast" material that Ford uses, will hold up better over time.

All of my Mustangs have been V8s but when I buy my next one in 2012 I expect to buy the V6 "Heritage" model. The body is to be all new next year and the direction injection V6 has five more HP than my 2009 GT convertible and the V6 sells for $4,000 less than the 5.0. Unless you are a gear head, go with the six speed automatic WBMS, it get better mileage on average than the manual and you will still win any race your want to win. ;)

Reply to
Mike

There were no mustang ii convertibles from Ford so I am assuming that is a typo for 1973...

Reply to
Brent

Reply to
Mike

Opt for the Ford Brembo brake upgrade.

You don't need sub-frame connectors with this design. As for aftermarket mods you may want to look at a chip and a cat-back exhaust (Bassani, IMO, being the best).

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

What's direction injection?

has five more HP than my 2009 GT convertible and the

What does WBMS mean?

Reply to
dr_jeff