2011 now last year for CV?

For 12 years now, its always been the last year for the crown vic...

whats going on here... do they not make any money selling these police interceptors or whats the scoop? I'd think the volume they deal out they would be making money on them...

but who am i...

What will the cops use next, if ford pulls away one of the last standing RWD's... doesn't leave a lot for options! >:(

Reply to
Picasso

I assume Ford would expect to sell AWD Taurus' as the replacement.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ford earns plenty, that plant is in full production! Ford sells around

190,000 CVs to fleets only, plus the Grand Marquis and T-Car to fleets and at retail, as well as the T-Car to limo converters. The last average build cost I heard was only around $14,000 / $18,000 in 2008.

The information I have is that production of the CV, GM, and T-Car now made in that Canadian plant, is to end in December 2010.

There is no RWD chassis on the shelf in design to replace them, but then again production WAS scheduled to end at the end of 2006 then 2008, but has did not because of dealer demand.

Fleets, particularly police Interceptors, are currently being ordered in higher numbers, in anticipation of the shutdown. Nothing on the market comes even close in comparison to the CV for police patrol units and Taxi use.

Reply to
Mike

11$1@kcnews01...

Thats what scares me. I mean a Taurus may be suitable for a security company, but its so hard to beat a basic RWD like the CV for a police force...

I can't see the cops wanting to use a Taurus... They'll never get the room they need.

The Dodge Charger doesn't appear to be panning out as a viable option either... not sure in other jurisdictions, but around here the few tests don't seem to ever lead of a major order of Chargers.

Huge shame on Fords part.. they'll be losing a big piece of history, and a valuable car to police agencies... and fleets.

How many redneck teenagers have one of these things sitting around, bring it home for about $1200 fix it all up, and become a ford fan overnight with a cheap, reliable, good performing car... i'm sure 10 years down the road they will remember their ford, and give a new ford truck or car a good thought... haha

Reply to
Picasso

The problem with the Dodge is the back seat and the trunk are too small, as well as the durability problems they have and FWD cars present.

As long as there are Taxi companies the cars will be reincarnated for years to come. ;)

[...]

Is it just this town, or do most towns run old ex cop cars or other used cv/gmarquis' for taxis, or do most use new ones?

This is just a small town, and most around here are ex cop cars..

Reply to
Picasso

It seems like the majority of cabs I've been in have been retired police cars. Occasionally I'll get one that looks like it was ordered new as a taxi. Ford does make a Taxi Version of the CV.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The Charger is not FWD....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Who said it was? What part of "as well as the durability problems they have and FWD cars present," did you not understand?.

Reply to
Mike

We sold thousands of used fleet CV and Interceptors to taxi fleets, in places like NY and Louisiana, when I still owned my fleet service business

Reply to
Mike

The part where you smashed it all into one sentence - "The problem with the Dodge is the back seat and the trunk are too small, as well as the durability problems they have and FWD cars present."

I suppose I should have realized it was a poorly constructed reply, but you present so much misinformation I just assumed you thought the Dodge was FWD. Certainly the sentence construction implied that. From the way the sentence was written it appeared you were listing problems with the Dodge Charger (small back seat and trunk, poor durability, FWD). If you had created two separate sentences, then I think things might have been clear. For instance if you had said: "The problem with the Dodge is the back seat and the trunk are too small. Police vehicles are subject to special durability and handling requirements that make the use of FWD vehicles undesirable in most cases."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In 2005, the Five Hundred came out and I sort of like it's quirkie Volvo loos......but some articles said it was the new full-size Ford when the CV was discontinued.

I laffed and laffed and laffed......and bought one: love all the room - much more than the CV/GM except width, big trunk and the AWD is flawless.

But can't blame peeps who keep buying the GM: what a bargain. I'm not too thrilled with the 2010 Taurus restyles which has got to cut visiblity.....and the roomie feel of the interior. Priced a new Limited optioned-up like my present one and it came to $43,000+......might as well get the Lincoln version for that much.

Meanwhile, cities around here have some Malibus, Impalas (fwd) as well as CVs for police cars......very few Dodges.

Do you think the SHO engine was developed just for a few boyracers when they've got the 'Stang? Everything I read says the police Taurus is AWD

- nice to know the system is up to the hard use.

But:

what about the limo business if the TC doesn't get a big replacement (how many Caddy 75's did they sell when it went front drive in '85?) Has to be some prestige value to seeing all those TC's & limos around.

where the heck would Ford be if they didn't have the Volvo connection? If they aren't broke - why would they sell it?

Reply to
it's punoneboi

The Ford Ecoboost engines, both V6 and two 4 cy engines are coming on line to meet the new CAFE standards that will go into effect over the next few years. The 2011 Mustang GT will be equipped with a 350 HP, for and aft, version of the engine in the 2010 SHO and the Lincoln MKS

Cars that currently offer V6 will get the new HIGHER HP four and the HIGHER HP V6s. The V8 will not go away however because of the need for the greater torque they produce.

Reply to
Mike

Mike's got you there.

Reply to