2013 Ford Escape recalled for third time, again for fire risk

From AB
Vehicle Make / Model: FORD / ESCAPE Model Year(s): 2013 Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY Mfr's Report Date: SEP 04, 2012 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V431000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Potential Number of Units Affected: 6,146
Summary
Ford is recalling certain model year 2013 Escape vehicles manufactured from October 5, 2011, through August 31, 2012, equipped with 1.6L engines. The cylinder head cup plug (freeze plug) may become dislodged resulting in significant loss of engine coolant.
Consequence
As leaking engine coolant evaporates on the hot engine, the glycol may ignite causing an engine compartment fire.
Remedy
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will seal the existing plug and add a secondary plug cover, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on, or about, September 10, 2012. Owners may contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332.

Sorry to hear about that. Escape is a decent size suv. Were any of the model years trouble-free?
I will never understand why auto mfrs keep redesigning the wheel. Stop me if I'm wrong, but cars have been around for over 100 years. Are the current crop of engineers not up to par?

Its usually not the engineers at fault its the idiot bean counters that think they are engineers that futzh it all up. KB

Maybe I am a little older than you (I predate /Unsafe At Any Speed/) but they were not even an option when I first starting riding about in cars. My father installed Irwin shoulder/lap belts in the front seats of our Morris Oxford in 1961, and seatbelts all round in the Vauxhall Victor that followed in 1963.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
On 9/26/2012 6:23 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:

lol - yea, but I was trying not to really go back THAT far...