2nd Post: Resistor block location? 97 Windstar

Hello,
My 97 windstar has a problem with the radiator fan. It only works on high speed, so the engine temperature gets pretty hot before the fan kicks in
and the temperature variability is quite high.
I've been told to check the resistor block, but I can't find it! Any ideas?
thanks
Marc Pelletier
Marc, Have you taken the vehicle in to an autoparts store and asked them to scan for trouble codes? You might have a P0480 Cooling Fan Circuit Fault. Or P0116 thru P0118 ECT or Engine Coolant Temperature sensor fault. A lot of the larger chains will scan your car for free. I don't think the Windstar uses a resistor block for the fans but could be wrong.
Steve

Yes, its been scanned to death. Its been in 2 different shops. The first couldn't figure out what was wrong. They changed a couple of different sensors but neither fixed it. Then I took it to another shop and they replaced the temperature sender, which didn't fix it. Then they found a faulty resistor in the resistor block and disconnected it, but I was pissed with them for charging me for the first useless repair and told them not to fix the resistor. So I'm fed up with repair shops and would like to do this myself, but I'm rather clueless.
cheers
Marc
=============== "Marc Pelletier" wrote:
Yes, its been scanned to death. Its been in 2 different shops. The first couldn't figure out what was wrong. They changed a couple of different sensors but neither fixed it. Then I took it to another shop and they replaced the temperature sender, which didn't fix it. Then they found a faulty resistor in the resistor block and disconnected it, but I was pissed with them for charging me for the first useless repair and told them not to fix the resistor. So I'm fed up with repair shops and would like to do this myself, but I'm rather clueless.
=============== Re-examine the clue from "mmmgall." There is probably no resistor in the circuit for a high power engine cooling fan.
If there is no resistor then the shop either mistakenly disconnected an unrelated resistor in the resistor block for the cabin heater fan or disconnected something else and didn't know what it was.
Perhaps it was actually a relay, not a resistor.
Good luck.
Rodan.

Did you think about buying a repair manual? It might just give you an electrical diagram and part locations.

Actually, I'm ashamed to say I didn't. But I just put a hold on it at my local library, so I should be able to sort this out.
thanks
Marc