3.0 Head Gaskets?

No, I don't have a 3.0 with blown head gaskets. I've also never seen one. Reading posts here it sounds as if some folks are seeing blown head gaskets on
at least a few 3.0 Vulcans. It's certainly not epidemic like on the 3.8s, but it sounds as if it's also not rare. I recall in it's early days there were some broken head bolts that caused coolant leaks, but that was very early in production. I can also see how the "Brown Coolant" concerns in the late 90s could lead to head gasket erosion. Obviously, it can happen to any engine, especially if badly overheated. How many here have actually seen a blown head gasket on a 3.0 Vulcan engine? I'm just curious, as I've personally seen or heard first hand of it. I'd like to get an idea of how common it is (is becoming?).
Tom Adkins wrote:

i saw a 93 with water coming out if the tail pipe. did not tear it down so failure mode was unknown. I have yet to have a 3.0 not outlive the car. (I am on #4 ),
bob
-
Bob Urz wrote:

was a 3.0 and not a 3.8? My personal experience has been like yours, they usually outlive the car. I've taken 3 to well over 150K, the latest being a 98. That's why I'm asking.
Bob Urz wrote:

I'm on #3. 180K + mi. #2 rusted & wrecked Aerostar (~155K?) #1 Taurus traded in @ 220K.
Rob

Don't forget that the 3.0 Vulcan was used in the Taurus, one of the best selling cars of the 90s and early 00s. It was also used in the Sable, Prove, Ranger, Tempo, Topaz, Mazda B-300, and Windstar.
So seeing a few blown engines in this forum doesn't mean there is a big problem.

Got a 2000 Ranger and I put head gaskets on my 3.0L 2V last January. Truck had 98,000mi on it, and engine had 91,000mi on it.
My symptoms were that it would lose heat when drivin down the road. I then noticed coolant disappearin, and air bubblin out of the expansion tank for a while after you shut the engine off. Sure nough open the expansion tank it would be almost empty, and the radiator would be about 1/2 low. Drove it like that for a couple weeks till we got a 70*F day in January and I tore the top off the engine and put new gaskets on.. Took me 8hrs, but she's been runnin like a top since.
Ford Tech