$3.00 per gallon gasoline. Why is everyone so panicked?

Page 5 of 6
Not even a mouse, as far as I know ;)
mike
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message wrote:

Mike Hunter wrote:

The nuke plant in my back yard, Palo Verde, is rated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission as one of the two least safe plants in the US.
On 22 Mar 2007 15:00:00 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"

Sequoyah Nuclear Power Plant is less than 8 miles from this house and I couldn't give less of a damn. It's safe. I recall in school some of the engineers came to talk about the odds of a disaster. It was 1 in some many billions. They said we had a greater chance of being hit by 10-20 meteorites at the same time than an accident of any degree from the power plant.
It's in Chattanooga and run by TVA in case you wanted to know.
p.s. I used to live less than 2 miles from it, you could see the flashing lights from the cooling towers at night. I had relatives who lived across the street from the plant for decades, none died before they were 75 years old.
It's a bunch of hype about nuclear power plants being dangerous.
TNT plants are VERY dangerous.
Now I live near some of those very HUGE Gasoline storage tanks, about 10 all bunched together. My risk of death increased 10,000% compared to the nuke plant.
actually mike, the environuts have changed their stand on CO2 reduction.
they now want us to only breath once a week.
> The environuts, who are so afraid of nuclear power, would prefer we breath

Actually, Environmentalists will want you to breath a lot more. You make a lot less CO2 walking to the train station or to work or whatever than your car does.
You the comments that you and Mike make about "environuts" are really stupid, IMHO, because they don't encourage discourse. We all have to share this planet. One way to get along is to show respect to each other.
Jeff
one of these days i will never figure out why people reply to a post, but then do not type anything.

"Environmentalists" yes, but not the "Environuts" who are trying to force legislation. . You of course are free to believe whatever you choose, but respect must be earned. The fact is environmental extremists do more harm than good in our efforts to clean up where we can. More level headed environmentalist have been speaking out about those. like Al Gore, who over represent and exaggerate environmental problems to gain attention to their extremists views of the problems .
The history of the automobile industry since 1970 is a prime example. I personally witnessed that forcing our industry, by demand, to spend billions to jury rig contemporary technology to meet environmental and safety standards by dates certain, rather than allowing us to meet those same goals by developing new technology in new vehicles with the same funds over the same amount of time, merely delayed by nearly fifteen years todays technologically advanced automobiles. mike

What a funny guy you are. You think the manufacturers would've dealt with pollution issues with being constantly kicked in the ass. If you can't handle the drugs, you shouldn't do them, Mike.
I guess in you stupor you missed the operative part of the post that referred to meeting those the goal on dates certain. Then again that is what one can expect from you LOL
mike

Without "help", they would've done absolutely NOTHING.

As usual, when you say something about believing what I want, you usually are expressing your opinion.
Global heating is going to be a real problem if we don't do something about it. Almost all leaders of developed countries, including Pres. Bush, have come to this conclusion.
Your last paragraph doesn't make sense. The regulations required that certain goals be met. The car makers were free to make those standards however they wanted. They had the choice on how to meet the standards, with new technology or old. The people who made the standards had plenty of time to meet the standards.
But, as you say, you can choose to believe what you want.
Jeff
Why do you like to comment on subjects of which you have little or no knowledge. First one must understand the problem, obviously you do not. To meet those goals by times certain we need to re-engineer what we were building or we could not sell vehicles until we developed totally new types of vehicles. Had we been allowed to work on new technoclgy rather than jury rig we cold ahv ahd tocay cars on the market in the late eightes. Get a clue
mike
.

You get a clue. The federal regulations did not require to jury-rig anything. Perhaps Ford did, however.
If I am wrong, show us the regs that required engineers to use old technology.
Jeff
I guess I must bow to you superior knowledge of what happened back then.. After all I was only working on those engineering changes at the time, not going to nursing school at the time like your LOL
mike

I was in medical school, though nursing school is fine, too.
I see you intellectual dishonest of changing my response without indicating that fact is still rearing its head. How sad that is.
Jeff
Mike Hunter wrote:

What types of jury rigging had to be done, and what technologies were delayed in development?

In message Tom sprach forth the following:

It's fairly obvious that they're not getting much oxygen to their brains.

Like most liberal types, you use ONE EXAMPLE to explain away the great technology of nuclear power.
By that Logic, cars would be outlawed.