3.8 long blocks

I'm looking at a 1994 Lincoln with a 3.8 l efi engine that has around 60,000 miles on it. The engine is a 'long block" from ford purchaced and installed in 12/2002. Can one assume that this would be a "good"
engine or one with the inherant problems that plagued the early 3.8 L engines? Having looked at a 3.8 before (with out the heads) it appears that it lacks a cooling jacket at the back end of the engine. Which could explain overheating and then the domino effect created by the overheat. They would not have redesigned the motor to eliminate the problem? Would they?
Zeb wrote:

Even if they redesigned the engine, you may have the old design.
Jeff

And they did NOT redesign it. Still the same troublesome block of scrap it's always been.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Those scraps sent me to college. My dad rebuilt engines for a living.

This engine is a crap-shoot. I have an '88 3.8L Cougar with over 300K miles that I purchased brand new. The engine leaks a little oil, but has never had the valve covers or oil pan off. Some are good, some are bad. It was a few years later that the head gasket was redesigned and caused the engine's bad reputation, if it ever had a good one.....