3 speed auto to 3 speed OD

I have an E-350 chassis on a motorhome. It is a 1986 model with a 460 and 3 speed automatic. As you can imagine, the mileage really sucks. Would an overdrive transmission from a newer model be a direct bolt-in
for this vehicle? ---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ---- http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

The first OD for the 385 series was the E4OD which is an electronic trans. If you can find one for a 1989 - up which I believe was the first year available, it will bolt in with the correct parts and mounts. You will need the electronic controls and harness for it. IIRC, the early controller was a separate unit while the later models became integrated into the ECM. Bauman Brother or Level 10 or some others can probably provide a controller and harnes - it won't be cheap.
The alternative is to install an auxilliary gearbox from someone like Gear Vendors. This is not cheap either but, is easier than a trans swap.
I suspect that you will meet or exceed the value of the vehicle either way. It may be smarter money to upgrade a few years to a mor modern setup which will include the OD feature alond with quite a few other efficiency enhancements.
Lugnut

Thanks. It sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth. John
---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ---- http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

That would be my thoughts unless ur RV has something special and absolutely essential to ur life or business about it that cannot be replaced. Unless u can do this urself, it will probably cost upwards of $5k unless u r going junkyard all the way with parts. I've seen several nice RV's for cheap lately.
Lugnut

You might be able to gain a little of what you want without too big a performance hit and for perhaps $500 by just changing the rear end gears.