302 heads - J codes?

Someone told me: "Our engines are what Ford calls "J" codes. They are the only 4 barrel (4V in Ford speak) 302s, except for the Cleveland headed Boss series. J code heads have 53.5cc combustion chambers to give 10:1 compression vs standard

302 heads that have 63cc chambers and 9:1 compression."

Can anyone confirm this and give me years of manufacture and any other details?

Ron Patterson

Reply to
Ron Patterson

"J" code heads were built for the Ford Industrial division(Dearborn). The 302's(as well as the 351W) were built in standard & reverse rotation, depending on application, and low output & high output versions. There were also Industrial versions of the 460, 300(I-6 - very popular Industrial engine - generators/pumps, etc.), &

2.3L/140(I-4) during this period.

They were built from 1968 on into the mid '80's(1990's for the 351, 460, & 300).

As far as I can remember, only the 302 & the 351W were produced in reverse rotation models.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1