351C 2V performance recommendations

Hi,
I have a '74 Torino wagon with a 351C 2V and an FMX tranny (eventually a C4 when I get ambitious). I'm looking to get as much street performance as possible out of it while staying within a reasonable
budget (approx. $1500). I'll be doing the majority of the labor myself, but am wondering precisely what would be the best hardware to use. I've never delved much into building engines for performance. Here is what I have come up with thus far . . . am I on the right track? Any ideas as to a purely ballpark figure as far as torque/HP gain?
Thanks!!
Todd
Edelbrock 1406 600CFM carb Edelbrock RPM Air Gap II intake manifold Comp Cams 268H Camshaft/lifter kit Hooker 6921 headers Custom dual exhaust with X-pipe and Flowmasters Electronic ignition MSD Billet distributor
txqzr4 wrote:

You're on the right track. The 600 cfm is an excellent choice.
When you go to degree your cam, run it straight up - not retarded or advanced - for excellent street performance.
Ford was transitioning to DuraSpark in '74. If you have the DuraSpark ignition, stick with it. My recollection is that some 302 Mercury's had this electronic ignition, the 351 in a Ford grocery-getter probably still has the points, in which I would recommend the Pertronix "Ignitor" conversion from www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/ .
You won't need the MSD hardware with the ~ $100 Pertronix kit. It's overkill & complex, the $$ can be spent better elsewhere.
With the headers & X-pipe, you will have plenty of flow & relief. The Flowmasters will be overkill too, the drone will be bothersome. There is a factory style over-the-axle dual exhaust for your application - then you can use Sears "Muzzlers", or Midas, or Walker mufflers w/ warranties & factory style hangers(interior noise reduction... again).
Good luck!
Rob

Yes, it still has points. I'm planning on using a Crane XR-1. I want to really hear the exhaust, that's one thing I like! Well, I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track, thanks for the advice!

Folks are going to scream when I say this of course, but if you dyno the car before messing with the ignition, and dyno it after fiddling with the ignition, you won't see any meaningful difference.
The factories went to electronic ignition because you don't have to adjust it. But if your wanting to performance up this car, the whole point is to tune it, right?
Ted
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Which is why I recommended the Pertronix conversion. This will eliminate the points as a variable in a 33 y/o car while "fiddling" with the rest of it. The basic Pertronix Ignitor is good to 6K-7K rpm no problem... way beyond what is needed.
Rob

Yes, I'm with Rob. I'm not expecting any performance increase with the point conversion, just looking for better reliability and less worry.