351w or 302 Swap into 65 Ford falcon

Hello,
I have a 65 ford falcon futura with an inline six that I'm getting ready to put a v8 into. Now its just a question of a 302 or 351w. I have read that a 351w will fit but I'm not sure if it will require
modification to the shock towers and if there will be enough space for headers and maintenance. Anyone have any experience with a swap like this? Thanks.

If weight is a concern you might consider a Taurus SHO engine [pretty exotic]. Look at....... http://members.cox.net/rdgrauman/Healey.html

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Stick w/ a 302/5.0. As long as you're at it, if you feel the cubes are needed, there are popular 331 & 347 stroker kits for the 5.0. The narrower 302 makes for a neat install in the Falcon.
Rob
On 27 Mar 2007 16:30:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The 302 is physically the same external diminsions as the 289 which was available in the '65's. It was a fairly tight fit. The width of the 351W is a problem, IIRC. The 351W stands about .9" taller and a bit wider than the 289 (302) engines. Ford made a fairly decent cast iron tri-y header for the HiPo 289's which are a bolt-on for a 302 that will clear with the 302. The nice thing about them is decent torque in the midrange instead of way above where most folks ever go. IIRC, there is (was) a couple of sources for them in repro. I have seen a couple of 351W's in them but, IIRC, they had to have some metal work done on the towers to get any sort of working clearance for the headers/manifolds. I have also seen a couple of hack jobs where the metal work was done with a half dozen swings of a sledge hammer.
You might keep in mind that, in those days, Ford used quite a bit different suspension under 6 cyl engines than they did on the V8's including steering linkage. You might want to check into installing later model front suspension with disc brakes from a Mustang and R&P steering which makes a neat installation and drives well. The original drum brakes were marginal at best when new. If you use them, make sure you have a good booster and use metallic shoe linings. The first time you try to bring 'er down from 80+ mph, you'll know why - the brakes tend to run out toward the far end of the stop with a stock setup.
You should have a nice ride if you do it right. I enjoyed mine a lot. Really screwed up when I traded it for a '53 Ford p/u with a SBC power train on a whim. That was the second time I got screwed with a bow tie in a street car and haven't owned one other the the short track car since.
Good luck
Lugnut

And stiffen up that body/chassis; it wasn't designed for the torque you're gonna throw at it.