3800 RPM loss of power

I have a 2000 Focus with Automatic transmission and Zetec engine. As soon as it reaches 3800 RPM (approx) the engine hunts and looses power, it does the same in first, second, and kickdown.
This is a potential safety problem as when I kick down to pass, the engine looses power. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.