4.6 94 POLICE INTERCEPTOR, SMOOTH IDLE, POOR ACCELERATION

Idles smoothly, cruises smoothly, but one has to feather the throttle to get it to accelerate. No codes come up. Any ideas? Thanks again.

snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com wrote:

My guess, MAF may need cleaning. Does it make a kind of rattling noise if you *don't* feather it?
I presume this site is still good:
www.tccoa.com and search tech tips on how to remove and clean the MAF.
USe an electronics cleaner or even rubbing alcohol... NOT Windex or anything else that leaves a film or residue.
Do NOT use qTips... use a soft bristle paint brush or even tooth brush.
F. H. wrote:

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/intake/mafclean.html
snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com wrote:

That's a good idea.
But here's an idea. warm the engine, turn off and disconnect the MAF harness, drive it.
If it runs better, clean MAF.. like FH says. If it runs worse, check or replace the Throttle Position sensor
you pay..DEAL with it!
FWIW, we expect to see more poor idle complaints resulting from MAF contamination than acceleration concerns. IIRC, the 94 4.6 "should" be OBD2. As such, a WOT acceleration should drive the PCM into an "open loop - drive" configuration and the injectors should go pig rich per base programming.
My vote would be check fuel filter (better yet, fuel pressure when the concern is evident) for this concern....
Just remember... this is coming from a guy that hasn't worked on anything gas powered for a couple of months, now...

You're gonna FORGET?!!!!
you pay..DEAL with it!
Thanks, everyone. It turned out to be the MAF Sensor, just cleaned it, runs super now !!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Jim Warman wrote:

What he described is exactly what happened to me and I got the cure right here. To get to freeway speed without hearing a bunch of racket (pinging, but not like any pinging I had ever heard) I had to feather the gas and gradually get up to speed. Know zip about the tech stuff but I was sure amazed (and grateful) for the cheap and easy fix.