4.6 Alternator?

When I start/run my 94 Tbird 4.6 (66k mi.), I hear a hi-pitched "Grrrrrrrrrrrrr", sorta grinding (but not loud) noise. So I place the male end of a long socket extension on the alt. housing, stick
the female end in my ear, and I hear the same sound and feel the vibrations.
Alternator bearings? If so, rebuild the alt.??
Thx, Peetie
Relieve the tension on the serpentine belt and spin the alternator by hand. If the bearing is shot, you will know by feel. While at it you can do the same with the tensioner, water pump, etc.

In my case, on a '96 4.6, the "etc" was the A/C compressor bearing. It seemed to make the noise whether the A/C was engaged or not, which I thought was odd.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:55:18 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@05.usenet.us.com wrote:

Compressor CLUTCH bearing. The clutch spins all the time, compressor running or not. Can usually be replaced without replacing the compressor or even opening the system.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:44:03 -0500, Peetie Wheatstraw

If you are patient, that alternator is easily rebuilt. the small bearing at the rear is usually not instock at a parts hous but, is usually the one that goes bad.
I just bought a full rebuild kit for mine on ebay - I was tipped off to the seller by another member here - check out: http://stores.ebay.com/AUTO-REPLACEMENT-PARTS-INC_Alternator-Repair-Kit-Ford_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2340661QQftidZ2QQtZkmThe kit had all wear parts, both bearings and electrics - very reasonableprice, good
message wrote:>>>>>When I start/run my 94 Tbird 4.6 (66k mi.), I hear a hi-pitched>>"Grrrrrrrrrrrrr", sorta grinding (but not loud) noise. So I place>>the male end of a long socket extension on the alt. housing, stick>>the female end in my ear, and I hear the same sound and feel the>>vibrations.>>>>Alternator bearings? If so, rebuild the alt.??>>>> Thx,>> Peetie>>> If you are patient, that alternator is easily rebuilt. the> small bearing at the rear is usually not instock at a parts> hous but, is usually the one that goes bad.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:34:01 -0400, "Paul of Dayton"

http://stores.ebay.com/AUTO-REPLACEMENT-PARTS-INC_Alternator-Repair-Kit-Ford_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2340661QQftidZ2QQtZkmThe kit had all wear parts, both bearings and electrics - very reasonableprice, good
message wrote:>>>>>When I start/run my 94 Tbird 4.6 (66k mi.), I hear a hi-pitched>>"Grrrrrrrrrrrrr", sorta grinding (but not loud) noise. So I place>>the male end of a long socket extension on the alt. housing, stick>>the female end in my ear, and I hear the same sound and feel the>>vibrations.>>>>Alternator bearings? If so, rebuild the alt.??>>>> Thx,>> Peetie>>> If you are patient, that alternator is easily rebuilt. the> small bearing at the rear is usually not instock at a parts> hous but, is usually the one that goes bad.
I got the bearings and brushes from the local Bumper2Bumper Parts. Total cost under $15US.
Lugnut

I wiggle the alt. pulley side to side and hear a little clunk-clunk. Spin it and hear the lo grinding sound.
How difficult to rebuild? What special tools? If my (junk) Haynes manual depicts anything correctly, the front bearing is ball, the back is like a bushing. If the right part is on a workbench/vise, do ya just tap the rear bearing out, tap the new one in?
Thx, Peetie
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:42:31 -0500, Peetie Wheatstraw

The only tricky part to doing the bearings in an alternator is making a pin/tool to hold the brushes retracted as you get the two halves of the alternator case mated and back together.
Then the pin has to pull out and let the brushes pop into working position on the rotor slip rings, without getting hung up.
If you're changing the bearings, install a fresh set of brushes at the same time. That's another wear item that can give you troubles, and you don't need to do the whole job over again next month...
--<< Bruce >>--

I seem to recall that a paperclip works well.

Richard
Thanks go to Bruce and Richard.
I can't tackle it now (it's 140 F in my garage), but it's on my to-do list.
Cheers, Peetie