4.6 Alternator?

When I start/run my 94 Tbird 4.6 (66k mi.), I hear a hi-pitched "Grrrrrrrrrrrrr", sorta grinding (but not loud) noise. So I place the male end of a long socket extension on the alt. housing, stick the female end in my ear, and I hear the same sound and feel the vibrations.

Alternator bearings? If so, rebuild the alt.??

Thx, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Relieve the tension on the serpentine belt and spin the alternator by hand. If the bearing is shot, you will know by feel. While at it you can do the same with the tensioner, water pump, etc.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

In my case, on a '96 4.6, the "etc" was the A/C compressor bearing. It seemed to make the noise whether the A/C was engaged or not, which I thought was odd.

Reply to
dold

If you are patient, that alternator is easily rebuilt. the small bearing at the rear is usually not instock at a parts hous but, is usually the one that goes bad.

Reply to
lugnut

Compressor CLUTCH bearing. The clutch spins all the time, compressor running or not. Can usually be replaced without replacing the compressor or even opening the system.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I just bought a full rebuild kit for mine on ebay - I was tipped off to the seller by another member here - check out:

had all wear parts, both bearings and electrics - very reasonableprice, goodquality.PoD"lugnut" wrote inmessagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...> On Wed, 13 Jun 200718:44:03 -0500, Peetie Wheatstraw> wrote:>>>>>WhenI start/run my 94 Tbird 4.6 (66k mi.), I hear a hi-pitched>>"Grrrrrrrrrrrrr",sorta grinding (but not loud) noise. So I place>>the male end of a long socketextension on the alt. housing, stick>>the female end in my ear, and I hear thesame sound and feel the>>vibrations.>>>>Alternator bearings? If so, rebuild thealt.??>>>> Thx,>> Peetie>>> If you are patient, that alternator is easilyrebuilt. the> small bearing at the rear is usually not instock at a parts> housbut, is usually the one that goes bad.

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

had all wear parts, both bearings and electrics - very reasonableprice, goodquality.PoD"lugnut" wrote inmessagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...> On Wed, 13 Jun 200718:44:03 -0500, Peetie Wheatstraw> wrote:>>>>>WhenI start/run my 94 Tbird 4.6 (66k mi.), I hear a hi-pitched>>"Grrrrrrrrrrrrr",sorta grinding (but not loud) noise. So I place>>the male end of a long socketextension on the alt. housing, stick>>the female end in my ear, and I hear thesame sound and feel the>>vibrations.>>>>Alternator bearings? If so, rebuild thealt.??>>>> Thx,>> Peetie>>> If you are patient, that alternator is easilyrebuilt. the> small bearing at the rear is usually not instock at a parts> housbut, is usually the one that goes bad.

I got the bearings and brushes from the local Bumper2Bumper Parts. Total cost under $15US.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I wiggle the alt. pulley side to side and hear a little clunk-clunk. Spin it and hear the lo grinding sound.

How difficult to rebuild? What special tools? If my (junk) Haynes manual depicts anything correctly, the front bearing is ball, the back is like a bushing. If the right part is on a workbench/vise, do ya just tap the rear bearing out, tap the new one in?

Thx, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

The only tricky part to doing the bearings in an alternator is making a pin/tool to hold the brushes retracted as you get the two halves of the alternator case mated and back together.

Then the pin has to pull out and let the brushes pop into working position on the rotor slip rings, without getting hung up.

If you're changing the bearings, install a fresh set of brushes at the same time. That's another wear item that can give you troubles, and you don't need to do the whole job over again next month...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I seem to recall that a paperclip works well.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks go to Bruce and Richard.

I can't tackle it now (it's 140 F in my garage), but it's on my to-do list.

Cheers, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw