4.6 dripping oil leak at start up

From around the filter area. Seems to stop when warm. The guy who changed my oil said he thinks its an O-ring for the oil filter housing. I just got under it, cleaned it and let it run but nothing (already warmed up) but first thing in the AM when I leave it run for a couple minutes it leaves about a couple tablespoons on the driveway.

The Jiffy Lube guy wants 75.00 to change the O-ring. Anyone have any experience like this?

Reply to
F.H.

Are you sure the filter is on tight enough? The o-ring is on the filter not the engine, unless your engine is different. Unless the filter is warped at the seal, in which case you should just put another filter on. $75 to fix it seems extrame to say the least.

Reply to
Andy

That's what I thought the problem would be, and why I put off crawling under the car, but yesterday I had the oil and filter changed. Same problem this morning. Since it was already warmed up (and not leaking) the Jiffy Lube guy was just guessing. I guess the only way I will see where it is coming from is to jack it up in the morning when it is cold and run it while I look. Was hoping maybe someone had similar experience.

Reply to
F.H.

See here:

Sharon Cooke

Jiffy Lube might be your problem. Take it to the dealer for an oil change and see if they say anything. Jiffy Lube is very bad at knowing much of anything.

Reply to
Andy

First off, find someone a bit more qualified than the jiffyscrew guy. The 4.6L has a well known problem with the adapter gasket. The replacement gasket is a bit different than the original. Around here, the gasket runs about $20 from the dealer which is the only one I would use after the problems they have. It can be changed in a half hour if you don't count cleanup time.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

FWIW, I've had it in a Volvo. I had to remove the filter, then unbolt the housing the filter seats on to get to the O-ring. Not sure how common that design is; the alternative is to cast the housing into the block (I think that's more common). Sharon's link shows the gasket - mine really was an O-ring on the Volvo - and has the details.

I wouldn't trust Jiffy Lube to diagnose or repair anything like that.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I bring the oil and the filter. They change it. 15.00. Been doing it since 97. How much do they need to know for that? Leaked when I got there, leaked when I left.

Reply to
F.H.

Thanks much. I think this shows the way.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

Thanks. LOL, the Jiffy boys take some heat around here I notice. I don't go to the average Jiffy, its a two bay, one employee private little out of the way spot and I know the owner pretty well. Formerly with Mercedes for 17 years. I trust them but I don't have them do any mechanical work.

Reply to
F.H.