4.6L accelleration ping

I know ping & knock on accelleration is usually an indication the MAF needs to be cleaned. My question is more about conditions at WOT. I thought most
EEC controls went to default at WOT but I am unsire about this problem. Any pointers, advise, or suggestions? By the way, highway mileage is around 25 MPG.
Thanks!
PoD
At WOT, the PCM should switch to open loop operation.... there is an indicator (PID) that describes current conditions.... There are closed loop, open loop drive and open loop fault....

Thanks Jim! I am not too anxious to fix this since the road mileage is so good - but I kinda think there might be some power loss at those few times I really need it. Now that you've explained it, it makes perfect sense. I appreciate your jelp.
Paul- PoD