4 wheel ABS front sensors - 2wd

Any of you guys ever replaced the front ABS sensor on a 2WD twin I Beam Ranger (mine is a 1996)? When I remove the bolt I can TURN it, but not remove it. I thought if I pulled the rotor I could poke the
sensor out with a drift - but the sensor does not protrude through the knuckle - no hole. There is just a nice shiny button about 5/8 inch in diameter that does not turn when the sensor is turned. I could likely get it out in pieces, but I want to take it out for testing and if it is OK re-use it. I DID clean up the signal ring - so MABEE the false lockup problem will be fixed and I won't need to pull the sensor. (intermittent left wheel brake disabled by ABS causing pull to right - confirmed by removing ABS fuse and no more pull to right)