5.7L Ford engine problem

Ok, this motor is in my boat so I can't tell you precisely what year since with boat manufacturers the model year does not always tell you when the engine was
built. The boat is a '98 Nautique with a 5.7L Ford/PCM motor, Multiport EFI. Fired it up for the first time this year ... engine starts fine, runs fine for about 1-2 seconds, then cuts off as if you had turned the key off. I tried to read codes off the ECC port ... no luck. Not even sure the port works. This seems like it could be one of any number of ignition part problems. Does not seem like a fuel problem to me but I've never had to debug an EFI fuel problem so. Thought I'd ask out here to see if one of you Ford guys have any ideas or how to start narrowing this down. Thanks,
Venturing a wild guess I would suspect the IAC valve. It is positioned on the throttle body and connected to (probably) a two pin connector. It might not be opening after initial startup to allow air into the intake for the idle to hold. Take it off and clean it up with some carb cleaner first, cheap and easy, just be careful with the gasket. Could also be the circuit controlling the IAC. There are loads of posts about cleaning IAC valves in this group, also worth googling. A new IAC valve might run you anywhere $50 to $75.
On 9 May 2005 11:53:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

lmfao I A C if he reved it would run TARD
the first thing that comes to my mind is WANNABEE
lmfao what a lode of shit
start with basics do u have spark when it dies?
hurc ast
And where did shammydog say he could rev the motor? Go back and read the OP he says it cuts out after 1-2 seconds, barely enough time to step on the accelerator and have the engine respond.
It takes ten minutes or less to remove and clean the IAC. I guess they forgot to tell you at idiot school that AIR, like spark, IS a BASIC component of the combustion triangle.
So you're the expert...???
Sure... you still can't explain your assertion that a bad intake gasket will cause an INTERMITTENT vacuum leak. You've had a few weeks to think about it but not surprisingly can't come up with anything.
Duh-uh
you must understand, hurky is the king of this newsgroup. he owns it. he is god almighty, and anything he types is the absolute golden truth,he never gives out bad advice, and everybody here worships the ground he floats over. being thus, he does not have to explain anything he does, nor does he have to back up anything he types, because he is an AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE TECHNICIAN.

He types???
I'm sure it is just a monkey with a keyboard, no actual cognitive thought or typing involved. If absolutely NOBODY replied to this IDIOT he would stop bothering us all...

look whos the idiot cant even follow your own advice
BWHAHAHAHAHAHA
foctard
hurc ast
On 10 May 2005 04:36:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

lmfao every one of your diagnosis begins with IAC
do you change the iac when you change tires too
btw 1-2 secs is about enough time to put foot on gas a natural instinct when engine is about to fail too hey that opens up the butterfly valve
so much for your IAC theory LMFAO
u think ya know IAC lmfao the dwell of an IAC is 21 degrees what is the duty cyle??
hurc ast
sorry to say, just open the throttle a little bit while cranking will tell you if it is an IAC, don't sound like one to me. I disagree but notice I'm not disrespecting anyone or their idea.nobody is benefiting from the rude comments. I would check to see if you have spark and injector pulse and power to injectors and coils during and through stall. would not check yet but does pcm have power and ground when checking codes. but nothing is lost cleaning an IAC even though I don't think it will help

Just a common point of failure on many Ford engines. Worth ruling out the simple, stupid stuff before investing time & money into poking and hoping, especially if your fixing it yourself.
On 10 May 2005 21:37:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

bullshit
hurc ast
Because um... IAC valves never get gummed up, dirty or uhm... fail. Riiiight
On 11 May 2005 05:36:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

many fords have original iac in uncleaned condition
lmfao hutc ast
Must be me then...
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.php http://www.2carpros.com/topics/iacvalve.htm http://www.stretcher.com/stories/05/05mar07e.cfm http://groups.msn.com/AutoTechsOnline/tipsntricks.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message 518&LastModifiedF75510371865155119 http://dast.freeshell.org/blog/title/tco_of_a_1999_ford_escort
http://www.google.com/search?q=ford+%2B+replace+%2B+iac&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&start0&sa=N
On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:40:22 GMT, km{ @hotmail.com wrote:

First of all, an IAC technically does not have a dwell. But I know what you mean . You connect a dwell meter to the IAC and read the dwell on the meter, and convert that to duty cycle.
Now comes the point. Nobody can answer that question to your satisfaction because you failed to mention which scale you are reading - 3, 4, 5, 6, or 8 cyl. So anybody's answer will be wrong, and you'll be off on another rabid rant. On a 6 cyl dwell scale, 60 degrees is 100% duty cycle.30 degrees is 50% 3 degrees is 5 percent. 21/3=7. 7 times 55% On an eight cyl dwell scale, 45 degrees is 100% 15 degrees is 33.3% 3 degrees is 33.3/5= 6.66% 7X6.66= 46.6% On a 4 cyl scale, 90 degrees is 100%, so 21 degrees is 23.3% On a 3 cyl, 120 degrees is 100%, so 21 degrees is 17.5% On a 5 cyl scale, 72 degrees is 100% 36 degrees is 50% 3 degrees50/12= aprox 4.167 percent, and 21 degrees is 7X 4.167 0r 29.167 percent.
And any tech checking the iac will have a codescanner handy (not just a code reader, but a real scanner - the ones the techs won't let the lub-jockeys and tirebusters touch) that will read out the requested AIC position, the actual position, and if applicable, the pulse width or duty cycle.
On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:45:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

wrong 100% is 360 degrees in this case since there is but 1 event why bring cyclinder ? this is irrellivant dwell on 8 cylinder is diffrent than a 6 because of 2 xtra events which happen in a distributor than spins 360 degreess

lmfao codescanner to read pids
lmfao u go girl
hurc ast
On Wed, 11 May 2005 03:59:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Whatever you say. If there is only one event there is no duty cycle.

What dwell meter do you use that does not differentiate between engines with different numbers of cyls? Like I said - NOBODY can answer your questions with an answer you can accept as correct, because you are a know-it-all, smart assed wannabe. One I wouldn't let within a mile of my vehicle, most definitely not my Ford!!