57 Plymouth to be unearthed from 50 year Time Capsule

Page 1 of 4
http://www.buriedcar.com/

I know it has been a long time since Plymouth closed it doors, but Plymouth was made by Chrysler, not Ford, GM or Pontiac.
You have some wrong newsgroups.
Jeff

I think these are all automotive newsgroups, although it has been buried for 50 years the Plymouth is still an Auto.

Plus, the '57/'58 Fury's are probably some of the best looking cars ever made. Sure as hell a lot more attractive than a 57/58 Ford or Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, etc.. In my opinion anyway. Christine from the Stephen King novel/film was a '57 or '58 Fury. The design concepts for these cars was the 'forward look'. It'll be interesting to see if the car still looks brand new. Hopefully, they'll start it up and drive it a bit.
-

Not just you, Grapple. Some of those cars looked good. And properly kitted out, they ran like a scalded ape.
That was why I bought one, it was one outstanding looking, gutsy, car. A year later it was a rusting rattle trap so I dumped it. Unfortunately I bought a '58 Chevy 2 DR HT and it too was a rust bucket. ;)
mike

I dont know about better looking than a 57 Ford or Chevy its a matter of opinion but definately better looking than a 2007 Toyota Ford or Chevy family car or any other family car made in 2007.
<...>

That, too, is a matter of opinion.
I think the newer cars are better looking.
But them again, I thought the Pontiac Aztec is way cool, and I own a Ford Contour.
More importantly, the new cars do their job way better than the older ones, IMHO.
Jeff
Something has been accomplished, at least you are now saying IMHO for change instead of things like 'we are running out of VINs' as something factual We know for a fact the Toyota does not make a Ford. ;)
mike
.

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:57:33 +0000, Jeff got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Just wait until Microsoft gets involved in cars...
..then we'll need to pay for a new car every two years, which will have the same functionality as the last one but won't be able to use the same fuel.
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
<snip>

<snip>
You will also have to do a complete shutdown, and restart every two hours! The monthly trip to the dealers to fix a dozen faults that should have been designed out in the first place, would be a pain too!
Steve R.

ANd you'd be driving a car the size of a postage stamp at 3 times the speed of light. So the fact you have to restart the car every two hours would be immaterial, because 2 hours would take you to mars.
And the new car needing different fuel would only be the case if you had a car designed by Apple, as microsodt software and the intel chipset have always (or virtually always) been backwards compatible.
Although the functionality would be the same, the speed would double and the size would half roughly every 2-5 years. You wouldn;t notice thew speed much on normal eartbound travels because around the world on last years model was only a blink of the eye, so todays model being able to go around the world twice in that same blink would not be noticable going from, say, new yout to L.A.
Another advantage would be parts would almost all be interchangable, because operability would have been standardized. You could put a ford part in a chrysler by simply replacing the software drivers.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sorry but you're out of date by over a year. see Intel Macs: www.apple.com/intel

I'm not out of date. I didn't say ALL Apple designed cars would need different fuel, only that ONLY Apple designed cars would need different fuel.

"clare at snyder.on.ca" wrote in message

Last I checked, Apples run on the same energy sources as all other computers: 110 V 60 Hz American power (fueled by oil from the Middle East, of course). The funny thing is that they use so little power, that the mini doesn't even need a cooling fan. Kind of like the hybrid of desktop computers.
Apples will run Windows and Unix, too. Non-apple Intel machines don't run the Apple OS.
And, Apples being backward compatible for fewer versions of the OS is actually a plus. People who program in Windows and want to suport Win 95 have either limit their system calls or determine which program is running (Win95 is not an OS), but rather, detect which version of windows is running and make different system calls based on the version. People may still have to do that with Apple, but they have to do far less.
Finally, Apples rarely get attacked by viruses. Being different is sometimes good.
Jeff
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Unfortunately your car would be sure to catch a virus and you'd have to walk.

yeah, fuel injection and its related drivability improvements are nice, but on those old cars, you could fix them with a few wrenches and bailing wire.
-
message

IMHO you're batting 50% there...

I don't know about that, really... I personally am rather disappointed in the *lack* of meaningful improvements in vehicles over the last few decades. We've added lots of gadgets, but some of the older vehicles are still more fun to drive and just as functional.
Sadly, we'll probably never again see some of the light, nimble, cheap sporty cars that were popular from the 60s through the 80s because of Federally-mandated safety equipment. The closest thing we have now would be a Mini Cooper S or maybe a Mazda Miata; both still weigh in at around 2500 lbs, compare and contrast with an original VW Scirocco, 1700-2000 lbs. depending on year, or the Triumph TR-6 to which the Miata was the spiritual successor, 2200 lbs. with a big straight six engine as opposed to the Miata's little four-cylinder. Or if you want to get real silly, the original Mini at its porkiest never got much above 1600 lbs...
Hell, the Shelby 289 Cobra weighed about 2100-2200 lbs. Today it'd probably be two tons with all the mandated equipment.
This is progress?
nate

So would arguing that I am batting 0%.

Let's see: better handling, air bags (and I don't mean my wife), CD players and iPod connections, air conditioning, better transmissions (in my opinion, that means smoother-shifting standards, others would say that CVT is a great inprovement), electric motors, sun roofs, anti-lock brakes, intermittant wipers, doors that open by themselves in vans, and run-flat tires. And the engines and cars are more reliable.

I think the VW GTi is one and it is still out there.
On the other hand, you can get a VW td and or hybrid and get like 40+ mpg. And in the tdi, the glow plugs start the engine in less 30 sec.

Considering all the improvements, including better brakes, the improved ability to survive crashes, anti-lock brakes and decreased polution, I would say so.
Jeff

I suppose we could all drive King Midgets with their 8HP Wisconsin single cylinder engines. Or Biscuters.
Less stuff to go wrong!
-