600 mile range Federal law needed

Page 3 of 6

It's not finding the sources that's the problem, go outside and look up and there it is. It's developing the alternative ones that have an ongoing cost of operation that's cheaper than just digging oil up out of the ground.
Consdier also that if the US ever seriously did that, that the Mid East oil producers could easily drop the price of a barrel of oil down to $5 a barrel or some such - they might have to give up a few solid gold bathroom fixtures to do it - for long enough to make sure that such alternative sources would be throughly quashed.
Oil production is like diamond production. It's rediculously cheap and a massive conspiracy called OPEC exists to make sure it stays expensive, in order to bleed as much money as possible out of consumers.
Last I checked raw sunlight is free - in fact in most homes we spend a lot of money getting rid of what we call "waste heat" via air conditioning that is generated by that sunlight falling on those homes. It is simply a matter of converting all that free energy into a more usable and storable form. Once someone invents a photovoltiac solar cell that has an efficiency on the order of 80% instead of the miserable 15-20% today, we already have zinc-air battery technology available that could make use of that.
There's some promising research on 50% efficient solar cells here:
http://trnmag.com/Stories/2002/121102/Material_soaks_up_the_sun_121102.html
Ted
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

No - our politicians (and apparently those in Europe) would just tax it more.
Remember that Beatles song "The Taxman" that I quoted a few weeks ago: "...Take a walk and I'll tax your feet..."

They can go ahead and tax my feet. Just so long as I'm not working my life away to pay for some Arab.
We need independence from foreign oil.
Don't be so pig-headed and admit that your boy bush is a mistake.

You do realize that this "oil" system was in place LONG before either Bush and will be in place long after, don't you?

Unfortunately, yes.
I'd rather pay for some other method of getting around as long as no bush or an Arab is getting rich off my need to travel to and from work etc. But until that time, I will suffer along with the rest of you.
Don wrote:

When the choices are the likes of Dean or Kerry or Algore, believe me - I'll take Bush. You libs want to get one of your own in office, then quit parading around people like Michael Moore, Ted Kennedy, Robert "Sheets" Byrd, and George Soros. Your choice. I'm just the messenger. Reality is a bitch.

Didn't the Nash 600 come out in the early '40's claiming 30mpg on a 20 gallon gas tank?

There's been a lot of those in automotive history. Secret: make the car really really light with a really really small underpowered engine. It works really well until you decide to go up a hill, drive fast on the interstate, or another bigger car runs into you.
Ted

Or we could just fire the supreme court, use voting machines that actually work right and get rid of the republikans fixing the elections. Bush never did win either election. But then, you probably believe the lies told by the bush puppy media.
Regardless, the facts still remain. We could have more energy efficient vehicles in the near future if bush/cheney would quit pandering to the oil companies.

If indeed we can look past your hate of Bush and everything Republican for a few minutes, lets look at Clinton's eight years in office and his lack of "more energy efficient vehicles". How do you explain your contempt for it not happening under Bush, when it never happened under Clinton either??? You would be much more successful in your endeavor "more energy efficient vehicles" if you could untangle that issue from your politics, and identify the real obstacles. Your Bush bashing approach really throws your credibility into question on this issue.

Under Clinton, a clear majority of the people were not really all too concerned with gas prices at an average of about $1.50.
Under bush, the price of gas has doubled in just 4 years. Hell, it's gone up over a $1.00 in the last month. And we all know it's not because of Katrina. Members of both parties D's and R's alike are calling these high prices "GOUGING." And since bush is pandering to the oil companies that paid his election bills...
Al Gore did talk about money for "renewable" energy during his campaign, but the media would rather have had you believing that all he was good for was lying about the internet. And since Al Gore was a member of the Clinton administration, I guess under Clinton, something was being done.

No, it's because OPEC doesen't like it when one of their partners in crime gets invaded, even when that partner really needs to get invaded.
Everyone forgets that the vast majority of people in the Mid East don't own cars and have practically no use for all that oil under their feet. Instead what they really care about is pushing Israel into the sea. Most of them would love nothing better to kill a Jew. We are talking thousands of years of animosity and violence between both groups, people, and thousands of years of outsiders (like Romans) keeping both groups whipped up hating each other as it serves their interests.
As long as the US is allied with Israel the Mid East Arabs are going to consider us their enemies based on the "friend of my enemy is my enemy" principle. They have obviously figured out that we want oil and that they can hurt us by making us pay a lot of money for it. And the more things we
do that they don't like the more we are going to pay for it.

You know, seems to me I recall under Clinton that we already knew that SUV's were horrible vehicles and lots of people were trying to find out ways to get rid of them or at least cut down their population on the highways. It was the Republicans who were publically saying "leave them alone everyone should be able to drive whatever they want it's a free country, yappa yappa"
How ironic that it's Bush's policies are directly responsible for the US population turning it's back on the SUV in favor of smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. It seems that the more that the Republicans do to try to discourage government regulation, the more things fall apart and the more that the US population demands more regulation. Just look at what happened with the push to privatize all the public power utilities.
A few more years of this and the liberals will be better off with Bush in there than a real liberal. For years we liberals have tried to warn the US population of the dangers of doing things the Republican way. So we finally had to let the Republicans go ahead and fuck things up and they have done such a good job of it that it's driven the point we've been trying to make home far far better than we ever could have.
Based on Bush's track record this term I think by the time his term is up that he will have pissed off the US general population so badly that they won't be voting Republican for another 20 years.
Ted

Sounds good to me.
"Don" wrote: "And we all know it's not because of Katrina. Members of both parties D's and R's alike are calling these high prices "GOUGING." And since bush is pandering to the oil companies that paid his election bills..."
What proof do you have that Katrina did not affect the gas prices? Katrina shut down all of the Gulf of Mexico oil production, which produces 1/3 of the nations energy needs. 9 refineries were shut down for at least a week and at present 6 refineries are not running. 2 are in the process of starting up. 4 still have flood water in them and cannot begin to start up until repairs and clean up are completed. This equates to less gasoline being produced and less gasoline means less supply for the same demand. Supply and demand will set the price. Simple economics.
Sarge

Ever watch C-Span? It's been on several times this past week.
Stay with the times dude.
"Fox News" is nothing but lies straight from the liars telling the lies over there in the White House.

A little more originalty than some regurgitated Al Franken lines woudld be better.

And it didn't happen under Reagan, nor Carter, Nor Ford, nor Nixon.

Yes, typical pro-Bush supporter. The hell with freedom of expression. Expressing Bush is an idiot who lied and has killed countless American soldiers so he can tell his Daddy "Look Daddy, I got Saddam for you, Do you forgive me for being an alcohilic cokehead?" is totally wrong. Under the bush Administration any anti Bush sentiment is totally uncalled for. He is the Best there ever was!!!
David wrote:

Man - talk about being high on something!! Take deep breaths.
David wrote:

So who has been prevented from expressing themselves?

Go back and read your sentence. You are saying that "Expressing that Bush is an idiot who...[did this and that]...is totally wrong". You're not even writing logical sentences (besides what you're claiming being totally FOS). You should be gellin', not yellin'.

Once again - you don't appear to be able to get your thoughts out. To say that anti-Bush sentiment is uncalled for sounds like you support Bush - which I get the distinct impression is not what you are intending to say. Again, you're coming off like a crazy man.

So who is saying that? When you make ludicrous claims about what people are saying when they are not saying anything close to what you are claiming, as someone else said, you lose credibility. But - hey - Michael Moore would be very proud. Keep up the good work. Makes our side look good.