$65,000 A Year? Bye, U.S. Auto Workers!

Page 3 of 5

Did you ever consider telling your daughter "NO!" when she asked you to pay $11K per semester for college? You can buy an equally thorough liberal indoctrination at much more reasonable rates.
Where did I get that amount? From conversations with my relatives and friends from high school.
giant snip

Nope, I'm generally a conservative, although I do take what might be called very liberal stands on civil rights and freedom of speech. What I am NOT is an idealogue or partisan extremist.
You obviously despise all Republicans---one wonders if you are completely enamored of all Democrats? Or can you see that both parties leadership exists only for the purpose of self-perpetuation and that both parties contain some fringe factions that don't reflect their average members?
BTW, felony charges don't only happen to Republicans. That pendulum just happens to have swung to the right at the moment.

That last sentence was completely inane and totally non-responsive. In your world does 2 +2 = fudge?
So you live in the fifth largest metropolitan area in the US and your wages aren't sufficient there? Have you considered living somewhere else besides the fifth largest metropolitan area in the US? Maybe you can earn a decent living elsewhere.
If I lived in a toilet I wouldn't have the right to complain about the smell. If you live in an area that is beyond your means then perhaps you should relocate to one that isn't. They do have U-Haul in your town, don't they?
Sean Elkins wrote:

Flip flopper.

I can't stand it when crooks take my hard-earned money and sign multi-million dollar pork barrel projects in exchange for hundred of thousands in campaign contributions.

Point? none.

Republicans are completely in power, proving the assertion that 'absolute power corrupts absolutely'.

Actually Ford was profitable in Europe and Asia - it lost money in the US. So it exports and makes money there. Just not here.

cars
trade.
ago
Ford does not export a significant number of cars to Europe. They build them there. Couple of years ago I rented the British equivalent of the Ford Taurus. Was much more like the Taurus SHO than the American Taurus. Comfortable bucket seats, full instrumentation, 5 speed stick , tight suspension. I suspect that if that if the US Taurus was built like that sales would improve. I have not driven the European Focus but I have heard the same good things. The European GM Opel can run with BMW and Mercedes in Germany. Not the same fit and finish but close enough given the price differences. The younger people in the US I talk to want similar cars (they can't afford BMW, Audi and Acura) so they buy Honda, Toyota and Nissan where they can get a car that is fun to drive.
Howard

cars
trade.
ago
Yes but they export nowhere near what the japanese export because of tariffs. Its really an uneven playing field.
Oh man... this is great! Blaming people in a free country for NOT buying lower quality built cars. WHY would I want to buy a car that has lower enforced quality control standards that cost the same as a foreign car, which has higher standards and better overall resale value (just to name a few)? Just b/c it's "American" built? Ha, that tired rhetoric has LONG been sold out. Unfortunately, again these monolithic giants are STILL trying to use the same old 1950's model of "Made in the USA" standards and patriotism that NO longer apply. The model is out dated and frankly ignorant in these times. Again, blaming the blue collar and lesser workers is ridiculous. And as usual, I don't here anyone complaining about the well overpaid management/execs that get to jump ship and float off on silver/golden parachutes. BLAME the ape workers! Speaking of quality control... GM, Ford and the like COULD and can build much higher quality produced vehicles, if they so choose. But being that they are giants that wield a big club, their model is based on profit from mass production, not tight quality control standards. I know, I've SEEN how the cars are built... Hell I have help build them, but when you're NOT the quality control agent/manager, you have no say in what is glued Vs riveted Vs seem welded instead. Take ford for example; many of the EUROPEAN fords are VERY well made and last decades longer than their American built counter parts. The Merkur was built to compete with BMW and Audi in the USA, but they had did not have the proper show room model to display the much high improved standards, and dumped them off to Lincoln dealers, who had little clue as to what they were selling, other than some "Euro-Ford." I happen to own a Merkur and they are very solid cars. Much more so than what is even being produced today by Ford. A shame, but again it's NOT the worker's fault- it is a MANAGEMENT mistake. But seeing as people in this country have been inbred into believing that only the supposed "ignorant worker," is to blame, I can see why management/execs and the like are invisible to proper criticism. And as someone also pointed out, EVERYONE that works for GM HAS to be referred & given a DNA based drug screen. You will NOT be hired w/o being referred 1st. So the misconception of junkies and ogres working the line and doing jobs a 16yr old girl could do are hardly applicable. And furthermore, many of these jobs are in a very hostile and dangerous environment where the typical said "idiot" would get him/herself KILLED and or severely injured. Make no mistake, not everyone that works for GM and the like are rocket-scientists, but they are far from what most would depict as said " ignorant factor worker." With that said...I hate to inform some of you, but many of those workers, say the ones that have been working there for at least 15years: STARTED working there with little skill, and b/c GM could afford to pay so well, many of them earned degrees and other kinds of skilled certifications outside of work; but none of these jobs could match the pay and benefits package of GM at that time. Again these people had/have families to feed and quitting their SECURE and high paying GM job with an uber health benefits package was NOT and for some, still is not an option. My father happens to work for GM and has 2 degrees and a Masters, I have 2 degrees and numerous computer certs. We are hardly "ignorant." The persons that like to blindly assume and point out said ignorance, more than show their own in doing so. Unfortunately the mounting classism in this country is appalling. Even people in the same "class" or income bracket (since income doesn't always indicate an individual's amount of "class") are stupid enough to be turned against their follow man/woman in a condescending attempt to distance themselves, as IF you are any better than said worker. Ha, think LOGICALLY about what you are attempting to allude, by pointing the finger and turning a blind eye to people that have sustained many of the small towns and cities in this formerly "free country." I say formerly b/c about 20-30% of it is now owned by debtor-default to China, Japan and some other Euro/Asian countries. Just WHO are you people to point fingers at anyone? Persons with REAL class/tact are actually informed BEFORE they post and wouldn't attempt to look down on another for purposes of belittlement and pure malice. It's unfortunate that so many people these days, waste valuable time trying to falsely separate themselves from others, as if doing so makes you any better? Get real! I've wasted plenty of time even obliging these Socratic taunts... I doubt that any of this will change anyone's point of view, but again let it be said that blaming HARD working men and women, for the past and present mismanagement (again there's that word - management!) of a former auto-industry leaders seeming demise, is hardly informed nor worthy of attention at all. Good day.
That may be your opinion but more American buy GM and Ford vehicles than they buy any other. They must think the one they buy is as good or better than the brand you buy.
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Yeah, and most Americans have to bring their Mexican built American cars in for service every other week. What's your point? Any savings in the initial price of the car is negated by constant repairs.

better
This is of course total BS. I've owned both US and Foreign models and there is very little difference in reliability. One of the least reliable cars I ever owned was a Toyota. The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned was a Ford. I currently own three Fords ('92 F150, '03 Expedtion, '04 Thunderbird). Only the F150 has required out of warranty repairs (one starter, one alternator, one fule pump check valve). Total cost for all these repairs is less than $500. Not bad for a 14 year old vehicle that has been beat to death on a farm. The Expedition required a couple of in warranty repairs (drivers window, front axle moan fix). The Thunderbird was back to the dealer to have an additive added to transmission fluid (a preventive additive that the fluid manufacturer left out). My parents also own three Ford ('00 Grand Marquis, '05 Freestyle, '99 Ranger). None of them have ever been back to the dealer for any reasons (I did replace the IAC on the Ranger to address a moaning noise at idle, and the Freestyle will eventually need to go in to have the fuel tank straps replaced at Ford's cost). My younger sister has a '01 Escape. She had to have the coolant level sensor replaced under warranty and the cruise control cable detached, but that is it. So for seven Fords and somewhere around half a million miles, the total cost of repairs is less than $700. Given that the tpyical Japanese car costs thousands more than a comaprable American car, I don't see how I could ever justify buying one becasue of reliability.
Ed

What year was that vehicle?
Can't prove that by me. I haven't had a bad car in over 25 years, foreign or domestic. Perhaps you do not do the maintenance. If you think foreign cars don't break down you are in for a rude awakening. ;)

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

Can't prove what by you, top poster?

This, from someone who trade-in every year. What an idiot.
dizzy wrote:

You can prove that he's a waste of oxygen

he doesn't even own a car
Got once you are correct, I own five LOL
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

You are either stupid as hell or senile as hell then
Not either. The good Lord made it possible for me to be able to afford five cars . '41 Continental convertible, '64 Mustang V8 convertible, 72 LTD Brougham HT, 83 Continental Mark VI Signature, 05 Mustang GT convertible and a 06 Lincoln Zephyr. LOL
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

The good Lord prefers that top-posting, lying idiots like you not invoke His name.
You only wish he was as good to you. You forgot to sign Idiot to your post this time I see but we know it you LOL
mike hunt

When did he tell you that? LOL
mike hunt