66 galaxie with factory air heater core replacement

Has anyone had the opportunity to change the core, it looks as if the fender has to come off to get to the firewall location of the core to remove the
cover and the core. Any hints, help or tips would be greatly appreciated... Thanks again... Fenton SF bay area
Fenton Kremer wrote:

remove the evaporator case from under the instrument panel. I've had 3 66 Galaxies, 2 eith AC and one without and honestly, I've never had to venture into the heater core\evaporator area on any of them. The way it looks on my AC car, the evap. case has to come out from under the hood, possibly including removal of the fender, hood and hinge. This is a car with AC, a car with just a heater IIRC, the core comes out of a panel under the instrument panel.(going fom memory) Does your car have AC (or did it ever have it from the factory), or is it heat only?
on a heat only car, the heater core is accessed by removing the 2 screws that hold the cover to the firewall in the motor bay. nothing else needs to be removed besides the hoses.. total replacement time is 10 min.

That's the way I remember it too.

Dont be intimidated... most fenders come off much more easily than it first appears... just use something to mark alignments and shim locations
We were fortunate in the sixties that there werent battery powered power tools.... a lot of us would have come back to our cars in a long-term lot to find hoods and maybe the whole front end missing
Thanks for all the responses, it is a factory installed A/C system and it looks like the fender will be coming off to facilitate the fix. Thanks again....