66 Mustang steering

Hello All. So there I am last Saturday, working on my 66 Mustang suspension/steering. I ordered a kit to replace everything up front, and I got it all in. I started the steering Friday and got every thing off (drag
link, idler arm, tie rods) I placed the new parts next to the old parts, noticed they didn't look alike at all. Oh no! I figured the company had sent me power steering parts when I asked for manual. Got some catalogs out, looked at pictures of steering parts. What do you know? My Mustang, a confirmed V-8, came down the line and they put 6 cylinder steering on my car. My old idler arm, pittman arm, drag link, and tie rods are all 6 cyl pieces. I know that in 65 they were running short on V-8 engines, apparently that isn't all they ran short of. The car always drove fine, though I'm sure I'll notice a difference when I get it back on the road.
Gary in NC

Sounds like my '65 C-code that I got in '82...it too had 6-cylinder steering parts on it.
I think it more likely that our cars were victims of misguided parts store clerks, junkyard scavenged replacements, or inept mechanics.
My 6 cylinder parts rubbed a groove in the starter so much that someone had shimmed the engine up 1/2 inch (and it still rubbed). Also, the steering wheel didn't self-center....all of which were fixed once I got the correct V-8 parts back in it.
i had a 66 mustang back in 1966.. every time i had to change something like universal joints, brakes, etc. over the years i had to take the old part with me to the parts store as they always gave me something that was smaller than what was on my car??? they would then compare the old parts to the new one and then tell me that i had a 67..... i guess it was a change over in the mid year or something like that...... i would also buy wrecked or junk mustangs for parts.... had quite a collection of stuff back in the late 60's to early 70's..... got the stuff cheap... also the falcons and mercury comets were on the same drivetrain as the mustang.... most parts would work on the mustang.... boy do i miss that car, real easy to work on... or do i miss being 20 yrs. old????