66 Taurus eyeballs problem

The clear plastic covers over the frog-eye headlight lamps on my 66 Taurus wagon are no longer clear. They look slightly yellowish and semi-transparent. First, this would seem like a danger to drivers with
night vision lessened. Has there / should there be a recall on these things?
If not, how would I clean them? Well, I HAVE cleaned them, but it hasn't helped. I can't tell if the dullness is on the inside or on the outside. I don't want to use anything that will make the finish worse!
If on the inside how do I get these things apart? If on the outside, how do make dull clear again?
_________________________________
"Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and oxaliplatin for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)

A 66 Taurus? Hold on to that one it's worth a fortune!

No recall, and very common on all vehicles with this type of headlamp.

They can be polished sometimes, but are also not real expensive or hard to replace. NAPA sells them, although they may not have ones for a 66, just a little on the old side.

Timothy 5:23 (adapted)
Most likely the problem is on the outside, the result of poor maintenance of the lens covers over the years. Try the plastic cleaner they use for motorcycle windshields to clear them. It works quite well. Keep them clear by using a polymer, like Nufinish, every couple of months.
mike hunt
Joe-46er wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Heh heh, "66" taurus. Let that one get by my spellcheck. Funny.
On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:17:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

"Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and oxaliplatin for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)