74 Ford Truck w/ elec ignition NO SPARK

Truck has been sitting for a few years. I dumped the gas, put in new battery, cranks fast but no spark out of distributer. I had the module tested at Auto Zone, they claimed it was bad and I replaced it with a new one and still no spark. Any suggestions really appreciated.

Reply to
Jim

These systems were pretty simple. First, make sure the rotor is turning. The distributer shaft may be stuck and you sheared the drive gear pin.

Other things would be bad pickup coil in the distributor, wrong module, bad ignition coil, resistor wire not being bypassed in crank mode. If you have a wiring diagram it's easy to check for proper voltages during crank and run modes. I may still have an old diagram around. I'll look, but you might be able to find something on the 'net, too.

Reply to
Rick

Check the coil, & the pickup(under cap). Is the distributor turning?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

If it's a Ford Duraspark from that era, there are three wires that go into the distributor, IIRC, orange(1) and green(2) are the pole piece, the black(3) wire is the ground for the entire system, make sure that the ground eyelet inside the distributor is clean bare metal on metal contact, make sure the distributor base where it bolts to the block is clean bare metal contact. Sitting equals rot, even after just a few months...

Check battery voltage while cranking, if it goes below 10 volts, the ignition system shuts down.

If the engine cranks unusually fast, make sure the valve timing is correct.

Reply to
aarcuda69062