77 Ford 150 battery Drain

HI My Friend has a 77 Ford 150 with a 400M motor Truck starts and runs. When you shut it off and come back later to start it again the battery is dead. Replace battery identical problem
with new battery. Where do we start? Thanks Ross
change the voltage regulator
Falcoon wrote:

Why not diagnose .. ? OK maybe you know from experience that the regulator in that car tend to fail ?
Get a voltmeter, any cheap one will do.
Charge the battery w a charger.
Set the voltmeter to the 20 volts range and check the voltage on the battery.
Now start the car, take it to, say, 2000 rpm and check again. If it isn't higher than with the engine off, then the car doesn't charge, and then it could be the regulator.
If it does charge, then after a short while it should be 14.2 volts or something like that. Then, your problem is that something drains the battery even when the engine is off. I suppose one way to find that something would be to pull each fuse, put the probes of an ammeter where the fuse used to be and see if any current flows - that would indicate a dubious circuit.
Soren
--
Fjern de 4 bogstaver i min mailadresse som er indsat for at hindre s...
Remove the 4 letter word meaning "junk mail" in my mail address.

Ross Richardson wrote:

Do the wires get hot as soon as you connect the battery, or not until you turn the key, activating the starter ?
Soren
--
Fjern de 4 bogstaver i min mailadresse som er indsat for at hindre s...
Remove the 4 letter word meaning "junk mail" in my mail address.
Only after cranking for awhile
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:41:40 +0100, Soren Kuula

Ross Richardson wrote:

ok then it makes sense to check the starter :)
BTW, you really mean all the wires get hot ?? Isn't it really only the thick guy going to the starter ?
Soren
--
Fjern de 4 bogstaver i min mailadresse som er indsat for at hindre s...
Remove the 4 letter word meaning "junk mail" in my mail address.
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:48:09 +0100, Soren Kuula

Correct
Thanks
Here's the update thanks for all the help still in need!
Took Alternator in had checked found it to be BAD.... Replaced with new. (cha-ching) New Voltage Regulator... (cha-ching) With freshly charged NEW battery (cha-ching)... Engine hesitantly started and ran fine. Pulled Red lead cable off battery terminal and engine DIED... Battery now drained. Engine won't restart just turns over 1/2 turn then nothing. Suggestions?
This leaves me a couple of different things to check that I can think of...
Ignition Switch Short Starter Solenoid Short Open in the Alternator return path to the battery
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:47:26 -0800, Ross Richardson

latest update
Engine doesn't like to start but once started the voltage at the battery terminals is 12.40v and slowly drains about .01v every 10 seconds , indicating running off battery only and once turn off the battery is too weak to restart engine.
If the problem was in the starter, starter solenoid this would be consistent with a hard start but once started would have no effect on the battery drain. If the problem was in the alternator, voltage regulator this would be consistent with battery depletion but should have no effect on the starting.
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:47:26 -0800, Ross Richardson

If the new battery is draining AFTER starting, it's not charging. This could be alternator, VR, or connections/cable.
Ross Richardson wrote:

The Truck is fixed The alternator was bad and it was wired incorrectly and the starter was bad Thanks for all the advice Ross
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:47:26 -0800, Ross Richardson